Frankensteining

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

You don't want to know
Frankensteining

Post by You don't want to know » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:16 am

Right now I'm trying to build a semi-portable playstation with hardly any knowledge at all about electronics. What I'm thinking of doing is putting the PSO LCD screen on top of the CD lid, sticking a battery on the bottom, and putting halves of a Dual Shock controller on either side of the system. It won't be pretty, but it will (hopefully) be functional. Could somebody give me some tips on "frankensteining" the Dual Shock?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:27 am

G-Force has done the same thing as what your talking about.

http://benheck.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... .php?t=125

Take a look at his page, you might get all your info from him on the project.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

You don't want to know

Thanks

Post by You don't want to know » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:49 pm

That PSp is really cool, but not exactly what I was thinking of doing. I'm thinking of doing something like this:
http://www.freewebs.com/handhelddc
I want to keep close to the same feel of the Dual Shock instead of having to hold the actual PSO. Could anybody give me any tips on this?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:33 pm

Well the only other one that sounds like that is NIN NIN, go to doomportables.org and look under status for his its black has a controller like grip in the bottem and may have duel-shock. The only draw back for you is that his case is custom made.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

You don't want to know

Changed my mind

Post by You don't want to know » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:11 am

I've changed my mind about using the analog sticks, it looks too complicated. I decided to go with the original PS controller, but I still can't figure out what to do to have 2 different halves of the controller and have them function as one. If somebody could post a tutorial or something I'd be very grateful.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:39 am

You can simply cut the controller board (I suggest over closer to the D-pad) and wire the ground and positive together. If you want to have the controller split over the case thats really the only if not the bast way.

I am a geek.

You don't want to know

Thanks

Post by You don't want to know » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:46 am

Thanks, I'll try that soon. The old PS1 controllers are really cheap too, so it shouldn't really matter if I screw something up.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:58 pm

hmm, it may be a little hard to get the controller in half.

Quall

Post by Quall » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:06 am

I just cut mine in half because I wanted the d-pad instead of using buttons, and was surprisingly easy. It just took some time to solder the traces. thank god for IDE cables, they are the only way to go.

G-force

Post by G-force » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:43 pm

You don't have to cut the controller in half. Just take a utility knife and scratch that black stuff off the touchpad on the controller board, so that there's a nice clean solder area, then take some pushbuttons and solder them to the board. That's what I did.

Quall

Post by Quall » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:21 pm

heh, i was aiming my reply about frankesteining by cutting it in half.

anyways, yah, that is the eisiest way to go and probably the best. The only reason I cut it in half (well, just the d-pad portion), was because I couldn't stand push buttons for the d-pad. I dunno why, i tried it, but I had to push down too hard to make the full connection. Better buttons would have done the trick I suppose.

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:00 pm

You could use a cut up NES D-pad. It's actually very easy to make, you just chop off the plastic around the d-pad, leaving two screw posts. Then cut the PCB part and wire to it. then just put it together. If you're interested I could put up how to do it on my site.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:19 am

i know this is a bit of a cheat but how about using this?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:22 am

I dont see how its cheating. I didnt even know controllers like that were made. Besides the only way you can cheat with this kinda hobby is if you us emulation.

Good luck

I am a geek.

EpsilonMirror

Post by EpsilonMirror » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:26 am

well i called it a cheat because its kinda like taking the easy way out, since you dont have to cut the pcb and rewire it together. and now that i think aqbout it, you could alo use that controler to help make the case, rerun the cable through the side of the unit and then use some chemical welder to attach it to the base of the portable. you end up with a way more ergonomic setup than most people can do on thier own and you dont have to worry about cuttign up the case to fit the controls