The 64Box - PICTURES FINALLY POSTED ZOMG!!! (Page 5)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:42 pm

@ bacteria - That's a good idea...yes I assumed solder and intense heat around a battery was a bad idea... :lol:

Any other suggestions before I try bacteria's trick?

- Juice 8)

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:11 am

johnbjuice - the heat from a soldering iron is not good for a battery and in any case, you can't seem to solder to the terminals, they resist.

My "trick" with hot glue and bolts is really strong and gives guaranteed strong electrical contacts. I used this for the watch batteries to connect to the memory card in the N64 project. I have also used this elsewhere too. The point of this also is that it causes no damage to the battery, even when removed and is rigid.

pic:

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:40 pm

Alright - I am going to use bacteria's method - the more I think about it the more I like it. Thanks! :D

More stuff will be posted next weekend. Yes I know I'm slow...Junior year sucks...

- Juice 8)

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:38 pm

:D

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm

I think that's really clever bacteria. I'll keep that trick in mind for future projects - it would be handy when making something real quickly.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:45 pm

Life of Brian wrote:I think that's really clever bacteria. I'll keep that trick in mind for future projects - it would be handy when making something real quickly.
Thanks mate! When I needed to connect a battery a while back to wires I thought of using tape, but of course the wire can work free after a while, especially if the battery gets tugged. That's when I came up with this idea, after a bit of thought; works great - simple, secure, permanent contact, yet can be easily undone! :D

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:31 pm

I know this post is kind of old, but I thought I'd add my two cents on soldering batteries. In order to solder to batteries, you need a pretty hot iron and you need to scuff up the battery terminals before beginning. You just need to be sure to only keep the heat on long enough to get the terminals tinned. Once all the terminals are tinned, you can use a lower wattage iron to attach your wires. I use desoldering braid for the connections between the terminals on my packs......it's super conductive and flexible.

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:06 pm

This is old, but definitely not dead. I just haven't done enough worthy of posting...plus my digital camera is busted.

Since last post, I've...

Bondoed a bunch of stuff together
Wired buttons
Worked on placement of everything in my portable

- Juice 8)