SNES Flash Cart....

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bizzy401
SNES Flash Cart....

Post by bizzy401 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Does anyone know where to find a SNES flash cart. I own a TON of SNES games and I am in the Army. I want to build a SNESp, but bringing all those carts with me on deployments would be a HUGE pain. I would love to dump all of thier roms onto one flash cart and only bring that. I have seen gameboy flash carts that use SD cards. Does anyone think this is possible to make a handheld SNES that can load roms off of an SD card?

I saw that there is a gameboy SNES emulator, but comptability is minimal. I would love to be able to use acctual SNES hardware. Thanks for you help in advance..

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:25 pm

grahf

Post by grahf » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:46 pm

Ive got the tototek flash cart. Works awesome, and the price is excellent. Remember that you either have to purchase a region chip with it, or desolder one of a random snes cart you have laying around.

Another thing to note, the flash cart draws more power than a standard SNES game. I never measured it, but it does decrese battery life on a portable.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:37 pm

here is your PERFECT PLAN FOR YOU!

step one:
Buy GP2x

ok I'm through
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Krepticor wrote:here is your PERFECT PLAN FOR YOU!

step one:
Buy GP2x

ok I'm through
I think the GP2x would be a great idea, but he did say he wanted the origonal hardware.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:19 pm

I think that the Gp2x is his best bet,

He wants a flash cart...well those range to about $75 for the caart and the programmer

I think a $150 for a SD interface emulator that runs at avery hefty speeds souds like what he wants :wink:

Now here are the only things he needs to learn
1) Linux
2) how to use the Gp2x's controller interface

These are not very hard and all our military man will have on his person is a unit and a SD card, Both of which are smaller than a SNESp (no matter how much you shrink it) a few select cars incompatible with the Tototek variety, and the tototek cart (this also gets expensive)

Now I honestly admire him for the original hardware business, this is why I haven't bought a Gp2x myself...Prolly should have by now...anyway I think that the original hardware is something for hobbyist like most f the members of the forums, however, emu on a gp2x is what I HIGHLY recommend for our military man since he will need extra room for clean underware and fruit-salad hordes

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:20 pm

Building and playing your own snesp with a large screen is more fun then just buying a gpx2

tau219

Post by tau219 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:45 pm

^^^^ agreed plus a psp is more powerful than a gp2x so you might as well get that. Just make sure you get firmware 1.5 or below.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:33 am

tau219 wrote:^^^^ agreed plus a psp is more powerful than a gp2x so you might as well get that. Just make sure you get firmware 1.5 or below.
I think you mean firmware 2.71 or below. ;)
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:12 am

there reason I said that was for his benefit, now a SNESp is fun, I plan on making one, I only recommened the GP2x because it is cheaper and easier to run emu on versus the eloader and soft hacking mess of the psp

bizzy401

Post by bizzy401 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:39 am

I have used the PSP with the hack before...I just wanted something..unique. I was also wanting to use orifginal hardware so that I was sure that there would be no emulation problems.

As far as the GP2X I have heard that there are lots of games that just wont work right on it. emulation is %80 at best.

I guess my only real question is, Can you build your own flash cart. I am very handy with a suatering Iron but I would not know how to go about this. I know in Korea they have multi cart games....how do they do it? If I could do that then I would be able to figure this out.

grahf

Post by grahf » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:17 am

I have a GP2x, and it really is a fun little machine. It cant replace the feel of real hardware though. The SNES emu is great, but its not finished yet.
I mostly use my gp2x to play MAME, the new CPS2 emu, Beats of Rage, homebrew, and other stuff thats not really playable portable otherwise.

I DO play SNES, Genesis and PC Engine games on it, since its great being able to have just one little device to carry with you. But if possible, i'd rather play on the real thing.

Faulty Ground

Post by Faulty Ground » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34 pm

I was also wondering about that. I have an ENORMOUS collection of roms on my PC, but I would prefer to play them on original hardware, or even better a snesp (hehe, thats fun to say). The tototek seems like a good option, but it would be awesome to work out something with larger capacity and smaller size, or at least one of the two. There are 8GB flash drives now with more USB connector than circuitry, there must be some way...
*Stares off dreamily into the 16-bit clouds*

Also, can anyone explain to me the function of the "T connector"? Just looking at the pictures, it seems to me like it is used to access the region chip from a second cartridge, and isnt needed if you put a CIC-161 on it, but I'm not positive on that.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:
tau219 wrote:^^^^ agreed plus a psp is more powerful than a gp2x so you might as well get that. Just make sure you get firmware 1.5 or below.
I think you mean firmware 2.71 or below. ;)
2.80 is downgradable. Plus TA-082 downgrader, etc.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 pm

i <3 my psp its like a dreamcast jr :P
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4