PSone Screen video

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Poor College Student
PSone Screen video

Post by Poor College Student » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:39 am

I am using a PSone screen and after hooking up all of the wires and making sure everything was grounded, there is still no video. The sound works fine, and the screen turns on but it is blank.

I used the pinout from doomportables for the n64 mobo, and simply looked at the psone composite cables to see which pins it used on the screen. What I know so far from left to right looking at the PSone screen connector:
1 = Ground 2 = Left audio 3 = Ground 4 = Right Audio 5 = nothing? 6 = what I thought was composite video

and the rest seem to be nothing. I grounded the outside of the connector itself also, because I guessed this was the ground for the video. And tried the rest of the pins but still didn't get a picture. Any help would be great. And sorry if there is already a post on this, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:42 am

there is one point that some screens require 5 volts Don't remember which pin, but it is at http://www.doomportables.org/video.html
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:16 pm

Also, have you tried the screen on anything else? (A vcr or something...)
Though, the likely culprit is the +5v thing. Look for the pin or do this mod.
HK-47 wrote:There must be two differnt models of screen or something, some of them need playstations to work and some dont. If you feel comfortable with opening up a screen do this.
MR.MOD wrote:Here it is Image

The 12th pin on the first slot needs 5v so the screen will turn on. You'll need to solder a wire from the 12th pin to the 5v leg on the 7805 regulator. Image

If you arn't going to hook up a headphone jack you'll need to connect all of the headphone wires together.
You only can hook up composite video to the 2nd slot. It won't work if you connect it to the sync line. I haven't tested the sync out line but I'm pretty sure it's sync out.

Poor College Student

Post by Poor College Student » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:44 pm

Ok I hooked up the +5v pin and now the screen will come on when I turn on the n64, instead of powering up as soon as I plugged it in like before. But, there is still no picture.
The screen worked fine when hooked up to an actual PSone. It is an "official" sony screen, I don't think i mentioned that earlier not that it makes much difference.
I resoldered the video wire thinking maybe I had made a poor connection but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks for the help and the mod pics. It seems like I am close to getting it to work (clear audio, screen powers on...), but maybe i'll try the mod if I get more time. Any further ideas/suggestions would still help.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:20 pm

Have you tried hooking the n64 up to a tv to make sure you got the mod right?

Poor College Student

Post by Poor College Student » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:05 pm

no i haven't tried that yet, I have been using the pinouts on http://www27.brinkster.com/ninja13/n64/4.htm and gamesx.com I won't be able to try anything until tonight after work.

Does anyone have a pic of the n64 to sony psone screen connection so that I may compare? I would post what I have done but don't have a digital camera :(

EDIT: It works! Thanks for all the help. I have one other question.

For the batteries - can I use that wiring diagram originally from http://saoghal.cywh.com/N64m_Pictures/n64m.html#Tech and just take out the extra 7.5v since i'm not using the gamecube screen. Basically will I only need the 8 AA batteries (9.6 volts since they are rechargeable)? Or do I need more?

iteotwawkin

Re: PSone Screen video

Post by iteotwawkin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 am

i am trying to use my psone screen as a monitor for my dvd player.... i have seen others on the internet do this, and it looks crazy to do. i am using the psone screen and the original adaptor, also using the a/v plug from a ps2 to hook into my dvd player.

now the dilemma..... i get audio but no video. i have heard that you need to make a bridge on the pinouts? but i am not sure if this would fix my problem.

anyone with any suggestions or if you have successfully achieved this, please let me know!!!!

thanks brian

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Re: PSone Screen video

Post by evilteddy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 am

Four things:
1. Don't bump old topics.
2. Wrong forum in any case.
3. A quick search would find what you need to know.
4. The headphone switch line needs to be connected to ground.