Radica Compatibility testing...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:21 pm

But if you got a REAL Genesis,hacked it up,and gave it a new case,there would be no compatability thingys,right? :)
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Nebb

Post by Nebb » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:23 pm

I just had a neat idea - create a custom cart with the six-in-one-game-thing on :D

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:26 pm

But if you got a REAL Genesis,hacked it up,and gave it a new case,there would be no compatability thingys,right?
Yeah, but it wouldn't be as small - and that's kind of the opposite to what the thread is about anyhow... :P

...It could be done with a Genny 3 though! :wink:
I just had a neat idea - create a custom cart with the six-in-one-game-thing on
Been there, done that! :roll:
-=MOD or DIE=-

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:44 pm

What about these Radica Genesis 2 thingys iv'e been hearing about?Do they have better compatability? :?
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:34 pm

Darth Fett wrote:What about these Radica Genesis 2 thingys iv'e been hearing about?Do they have better compatability? :?
id imagine so. Street Fighter 2 is a 16 meg cart or something like that. So i would imagine it supports bigger games.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:48 am

The Radica Arcade Legends 2 has the same compaliblity as Radica Arcade Legends 1, and PAL UK Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition works on either

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

plasticrelic

My working carts

Post by plasticrelic » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:34 pm

These are ones that I got to work. I will not include my non working because they confilct with other lists.(and may just be dirty)

MY MODDED RADICA
==============

USA (ntsc) Version

ROMS TESTED
(All of these are actual carts and are plugged into a cart slot)
most I only played a few seconds
=========

#Sonic Spinball (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#Championship Pro-Am (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#FIFA international soccer (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#The Revenge of Shinobi (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#Paperboy (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#Frogger (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#Hard Drivin' (NTSC/US) - Works fine
#Tenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Hyper Stone Heist (NTSC/US) - Works fine

pictures of my radica genesis into a sonic and knuckles cartridge:(readonly password benheck)

http://photobucket.com/albums/b5/plasti ... 0Knuckles/

question: If you go to my album and look at the screen shots, look at the lower right hand side of the screen. It looks like the image shifts to the left leaving a blank spot and distorted image, does any one else experence this? also when the screen is mostly white (like durring the sega splash screen for sonic) it flickers and rolls. My radica did this before any modding and would like to know if anyone else had this or if mine was defective. :?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:31 pm

that is one bad ass collection you got there, and good job on the cart slot too iu like how you used sonic and knuckles as a case
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

BJWanlund

Post by BJWanlund » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:02 am

oh my god...

Your "Room of Doom" puts mine to SHAME. SHAME, i tell ya! I noticed you have multiple consoles (ie sega dreamcast, etc.) and are you willing to share in the love? What are your multiple consoles?

BJ

paulpsomiadis

WHOA!

Post by paulpsomiadis » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:59 pm

HOLY CR@P BATMAN! :shock:

My thread lives! :?

Anyhow...after the initial shock... :P

Nice work there @plasticrelic 8)

Finally we have someone with a USA console modded! :D

Hope that was a spare SnK cart...you didn't just kill it for the case? :?:

I hope you DIDN'T use the Sonic and Knuckles cart slot - it's a LOT more loose than a normal Genny slot and can lead to bad connections. :cry:

As for dirty cartriges - you'll need a gamebit screwdriver (some carts have tamper proof screws) and a 'polishing block' like this one... :wink:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... doy=search

After polishing the edge connector on the dirty cart, just wipe over with some alcohol (white spirit will do) and re assemble the cart. :wink:

I'd also recommend putting some epoxy resin on the ROM points on the Radica board where the cart slot wires lead to - the ROM spot takes a lot of stress and the wires can come loose easily. This can mean difficult re-soldering (or WORSE - broken tracks!) :shock:

As for the screen issues...I'll get back to ya'! :wink:

==EDIT==

Hmm...K - I think I see what you mean about the Radica image being shifted... :?

It's actually DOWN by 1 pixel and LEFT by 4 pixels. :roll:

As for the 'rolling' image when the screen is white - this is probably the fact that it's just composite video. :P

I see some 'slight' rolling of the video image on a black screen (visible as horizontal ghosting across the screen) - but it's not as pronounced on my PAL unit due to the fact that a PAL composite signal is usually better quality (for colours at least) as it was invented AFTER colour T.V. (NTSC composite came before colour broadcasting) :o
-=MOD or DIE=-

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:29 am

My question is this:

Will Sonic and Knuckles run on a modded Street Fighter 2 CE unit?

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 pm

Will Sonic and Knuckles run on a modded Street Fighter 2 CE unit?
Short answer - NO! :cry:

Long answer - The original SNK cart will not run due to it's lock-on technology. The actual ROM layout on the board is not standard, thus it doesn't work with the Radica (nor does Sonic 3 for the same reason, since it was designed with SNK lock-on in mind) :roll:

BUT (not that I can test this theory) if you could get your hands on one of those RARE pirate ROM carts of SNK or Sonic 3...maybe they would work... :?
-=MOD or DIE=-

DevSter

Post by DevSter » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:00 pm

sonic 3 and snk will work on the radica by connecting an extra pin to your cart. writing to the sonic 3 backup memory still won't work though. i think super street fighter will also work too, but i need to check more info on its bank switching methods

edit:
i forgot, the mod is located on my website at devster.monkeeh.com in the Sega page, then look for the Radica page

paulpsomiadis

THANKS!

Post by paulpsomiadis » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks and props to @DevSter for his Sonic'n'Knuckles MOD... 8)

...and the thread is briefly resurrected AGAIN! :shock:

Compat. list updated :wink:

(Shame I can't test SSF2 - I sold my SSF2 cart...) :cry:

@plasticrelic and @xenepp... :)

...can you guys please try and do DevSter's SnK MOD to your Radica's and see if it helps compatibility with any of your 'non-working' carts...
:wink:
Thanks! 8)
-=MOD or DIE=-

G-force

Post by G-force » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:54 pm

Paul bringing this up reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

Has anyone gotten a Street Fighter 2 Radica to work with a cartridge slot yet? I tried here and had no luck, although I'm not ruling out wiring error just yet.