Radica Compatibility testing...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:55 am

It's not really that much of a drain- a lot of very battery-efficient things use them. Like, for example, Bandai's WonderSwan. My WonderSwan Color lasts for like 20 hours on a single AA cell. That's pretty amazing, since it's powering a processor that's better than the GB Color and a higher color screen I believe.
If you have an extra Radica ROM, and can wire it to a cart (preferably the first bunch, since I wouldn't mind playing Altered Beast again), I'll trade you for Quackshot and something else perhaps :) I'm interested in seeing if it works in my GOAC from China.

Red5

Post by Red5 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:03 pm

OK I've built a rom dumping cable, had a few teething problems getting it to work... needed to switch my LPT port to "Bi-Directional" mode AND still had to use UCON64 to get it to dump anything right. I have now succesfully dumped sonic the hedgehog and tested it with GoodGen which shows it as being a good dump too :D

Next up I need to try and put the ROM from my busted radica onto a cart to try and dump that (probably won't try that till weekend though!). Just a quick question about how you wired yours up paulpsomiadis... where did you wire the VCC (Pins 1, 23, 33) and GND (Pins 13, 32) on the Radica rom to (on the dead cart)? I think I've figured out where everything else needs to be though.

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:32 pm

@SgtBowhack - Yup, I still have the old ROM from my JAP Radica stored in a bag. :wink:
I'm not too sure it'll work like the U.K. one did though, as it did not de-solder as easily (been heated somewhat). :?
It might be easier for you to start with a 'fresh' glop-ROM from a JAP Radica... :roll:
Also I don't have any more broken carts to use! :(

@Red5 - sweet! Good to hear you built the cable! :D

To answer your question, the Radica ROM is stuck to the back of the cart 'board' with pin 1 of the Radica ROM pointing down toward the corner of the edge connector of the cart (i.e. - the Radica rom lines up horizontally with the top edge of the cart board...) :?

The two GND pins should use 'slightly' thicker wire for good grounding, and be as short as possible (easy with pin 13, as you can practically line this up with the middle ground pad on the back of the cart). :wink:

The VCC pins should also use thicker wire - but as long as you keep them short it should be O.K. :wink:

Also, it goes without saying that you should have a 'component less' cart board before you begin! :roll:

Wiring tips
=======

On the back of the cart you should route the wires to solder pads from the original ROM, but ONLY the pads that STAY on this side of the board (any that go through to the other side - ignore them!) 8)

As for the pins on the front of the board (or some on the back that don't have a pad) follow them to the nearest 'link hole' (copper holes that link both sides of the board - they should look a darker colour and be the same size as solder pads) then use a flat ended screw driver to scrape the coating off the hole and MAKE a solder pad! 8)

Wires to the front of the board should be routed to these new 'pads' and be as short as possible. :wink:

You'll also have to solder to some of the pads on the edge connector of the cart DIRECTLY (not easy but possible). Use a tiny 'dab' of solder to keep the wire onto the top of the pad so as not to stop the card from connecting up to the edge connector... :wink:

Getting wires the right size
=================

I usually use 0.1awg or 0.3awg (ultra thin kynar) wire for grounding and VCC. :wink:

For the other wires, you need something even THINNER!!! :shock:

Best bet is to buy some 12way multi-core from Maplin and strip the coating off to get at the EXTREMELY thin wires inside (work out at about 0.05awg!). These are perfect for mods - also what I used when doing the Radica. 8)

PHEW, that's enough for now! :shock: :P
-=MOD or DIE=-

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:04 am

Well, my ASIAN megadrive arrived...so time for more news... :D

1. The Radica ROM doesn't work in here either (so it's not ASIAN region...) :?:

2. My ASIAN Mega CD is faulty... :cry:

I'm not sure what's wrong with it at the moment...going to do some checking with a multimeter... :?

If anyone knows where I can find info / spare parts / repair service for the Mega CD, please post in this thread! :wink:

Nuff said! 8)
-=MOD or DIE=-

Red5

Post by Red5 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:08 am

Your best bet would probably be on the forums (the Tavern) over at Eidolon's Inn: http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php

Unfortunately with Mega-CD systems if they're broken it's nigh on impossible to get any replacement parts, except from another Mega-CD, so they generally stay busted :( With your electronics experience you probably stand a better chance than most finding/fixing the problem though.

goodie

Post by goodie » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:28 pm

I just picked up a Radica Volume II today. Its the red one that has Sonic 2. The quality seems pretty close to a real Genesis, except that some sounds (like Sonic jumping) are very quiet. :P Has anyone messed with this version yet? I wonder if it will be any more compatible than the original.
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:54 am

As long as a radica with a cartridge slot plays Cannon Fodder, I just bought it yesterday, but had it ages ago for Megadrive and Amiga. Its a great game.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

Red5

Post by Red5 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:02 am

@ Unidentified Assailent: Radica have recently signed a deal with codemasters for a "Sensible Soccer Plus" unit which will have Sensi Soccer, Mega-Lo-Mania & Cannon Fodder so there's a pretty good chance that your Cannon Fodder cart will work with a modded Radica.

Of course there's also the Street Fighter unit and Jakk's Pacific has a Mortal Kombat unit upcoming as well.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:23 am

Good, Cannon Fodder rules

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:31 am

@Red5 - Whoa! You sure can keep up with Radica news...I didn't even know about the Codemasters Radica deal! :shock:

Oh and thanks for the link to Eidolons Inn... :wink:

@goodie - the jump sound in Sonic 2 is 'really quiet' due to the crappy mixing-amp IC used by the Radica unit. I know, as I have played a REAL Sonic 2 cart on my modded Radica.

Oh and chances are that compatibility is identical - until the SF2:SCE Radica unit is released. That one will have TWO six-button controllers! :shock:

Just to let you guys know that I checked the inside of my MegaCD and it seems fine (voltages supplied around the circuit check out fine...I know this as even when the unit is powered off, but plugged in, the 3V battery for the backup RAM is getting 2.85v [about right]). :D

I'm thinking I may need a "Pro CDX" as it may be a region issue... :roll:
-=MOD or DIE=-

Red5

Post by Red5 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:01 am

Good luck finding a CDX... a phrase involving rocking horses and "number two's" comes into mind :shock: They are available (I have one) but incredibly hard to find, and if you do find one it's going to be waaay expensive (I think I paid about £40 for mine!)

Alternatively you could try converting one of your European Mega-CD's to work with your Jap model using ConvSCD ( http://www.retrodev.com/convscd.html ) Rip your CD to Bin/Cue or ISO, patch with ConvSCD, burn to CD. It doesn't always work, and music etc. will go out of sync whilst playing, but if it's a region problem then this will fix some of your problems and at least let you test the unit is working. I'm assuming that you can get to the Mega-CD bios screens BTW (with no cart and no CD inserted in the system) 'cause if you can't then your buggered :evil:

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:06 am

I good place to find CDX's are Ebay, usually you can find cheap ones that have had a lens malfunction.

Red5

Post by Red5 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:01 am

The "Pro CDX" we're talking about is a cart which allows you to play import Mega-CD/Sega-CD' s on your system, not the portable Genesis/Sega-CD that you're thinking of UA!

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:34 pm

@Red5 - Hmm...you could be correct, my MegaCD might simply be FUBAR... :cry:

The ASIAN MegaCD in question usually powers up 'briefly' (1 sec.) when I switch on the attached ASIAN Megadrive...then powers off... :?

However, the guy I bought it off says that when he tested it, it wouldn't even power on without the Pro CDX inserted!!! :shock:

Surely it should show the BIOS screen, even if it's a "This Mega CD is intended to be used with a X region Megadrive" message... :?:

Oh, and I've found TWO Pro CDX carts on eBay this week. Missed the first one today (I got outbid and it finished at £35), the next one is NINE days away!!! :shock: :?

Let me know what you think folks... :roll:
-=MOD or DIE=-

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:46 am

Power supply is probably too low amperage. Same thing happened to my PC Engine CD-ROM when I got it. It needed 1A and I gave it 300mA and it powered up enough that it showed me "0" on the track LED screen but then quickly died. Try another power supply.