Radica Compatibility testing...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

goodie

Post by goodie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:21 am

SpongeBuell wrote:I think that the US version calls him/her Miles "Tails" Powers
It's a him, and it's Miles "Tails" Prower if you want to be exact. :P
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:54 pm

Yes, he is indeed. It was actually supposed to be Power but a typo that existed in the Japanese one stuck with them (in the Japanese instruction manual it has the pronunciation). I'm just saying that in one screen where he's called Tails on the USA version, he's called Miles on the Japanese one. Not saying they did away with it completely :P The intro is the same.

goodie

Post by goodie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:51 pm

Actually, I heard that the reason he is called that is because the guy who made him up wanted him to be called Miles Prower (say it slow and it sounds like Miles Per Hour) but everyone else at Sega wanted him to be called Tails because of his two tails. So they compromised and made his middle name Tails and his first name Miles.

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:01 am

@goodie - I agree with you on this one. It's a pretty famous story among Sonic fans (and I'm one of the biggest - I played Sonic games 24/7 when I was a kid!). 8)

@SgtBowhack - Heh, you have a point though. If the pronunciation is there then it must be right! :roll:

Ah well - everyone calls him Tails anyhow, so who cares! :P :lol:
-=MOD or DIE=-

makuraken

Post by makuraken » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:52 am

SgtBowhack, hey you can get Genesis games that cheap? My store here is slowly raising the prices again for the SFC and the Gen carts where always about sanhyaku en. (around 3USD). Man, but do they have boxes and stuff?
A lot of the games here have carts with boxes and such together.
When in Japan with access to just about every system ever made and those that have yet to see international soil, gather your forces, and make the cool ones your own.

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:55 am

It's sanbyaku :) And it depends on the game. I mean, I'm not gonna be able to get Rent-a-Hero for 200 yen, but something common like Sonic shouldn't be too hard.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:51 pm

SgtBowhack wrote:It's sanbyaku :)
Actually, in Romanji it can be spelt either hyaku or byaku, most sites that I've seen spell it hyaku :)

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:17 am

Actually, I'm pretty much fluent in Japanese (I've been told many times I'd pass the level 2 proficiency exam), so don't attempt to correct my Japanese. Thanks. (I'll be getting my HS teaching certificate whenever I actually take courses on teaching... well, anything.)
In the case of 300, it's ALWAYS (ALWAYS!) sanbyaku.
There is only one way to romanize it. For 100 it's hyaku, but because of the preceding nasal, the following consonant becomes voiced. Well, the weird thing is, in ancient Japanese, most h sounds were p. So the p (non-voiced labial stop) became b (voiced labial stop). But for some reason [p] went to [h] (in most cases), so h becomes b when "voiced." This happens in every case I can think of that two words are joined with a nasal (n) is followed by the unvoiced character of the next word.
And there is your Japanese lesson for today.
(Sorry, don't mean to be a dick, but I'm a translator and so it's my job to be right when it comes to Japanese) :)

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:31 pm

well, I never said that the sites that I've seen it spelt hyaku were right.. :roll:
anyways, now that my head's been bitten off I'll just run around like a headless chicken for awhile....
*starts running*

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:16 pm

gannon wrote:well, I never said that the sites that I've seen it spelt hyaku were right.. :roll:
anyways, now that my head's been bitten off I'll just run around like a headless chicken for awhile....
*starts running*
Hey its mike the headless chicken!
http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.htm
:shock: Two Mikes, two chickens, both headless.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:22 pm

lol, to thnk that they even have a website dedicated to that bird is kinda....well, creepy :)

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:28 pm

Actually, it's a curious thing. I was thinking about this some more, and I did come up with a case where it is an n followed by hyaku. 400. This is pronounced yonhyaku. Why, I do not know. I am tempted to believe that at some point it was yohyaku or something, since it seems that until recently the pronunciation "yon" wasn't used much. But anyway, I admit that what I said was, in some cases, incorrect.
300 is still sanbyaku though (pronounced more like sambyaku because the following consonant is nasal- in linguistics this is called assimilation. Sounds will be assimilated. Resistance is... difficult.)

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:34 pm

lol
ah! The borg!!
Anyways, japanese is pretty hard I think. Especially since it uses like 80 base characters(hiragana and katakana) with 3 different pronunciation symbols, and that's not even getting into kanji :shock:
I'll gladly stick with my butchered version of english anyday :roll:

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:47 pm

Is anyone keeping track of when this thread went off topic? :?:

Wheee - and this is called a steep incline...LOL! :lol:
-=MOD or DIE=-

goodie

Post by goodie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:56 pm

I believe it was when we began talking about Sonic 2. So, sometime between Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:21 am and Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:24 am. :lol: