Review: Game Joy 16Bit - Genesis 3 Clone

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

dankicksass
Review: Game Joy 16Bit - Genesis 3 Clone

Post by dankicksass » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:06 pm

Stay tuned for pictures inside and out and a more complete review.
In the box: A silver Genesis 3 clone, a power supply, an AV cable.

The benefits: This is a region-switching Genesis clone. It will play games from US, Japan, and Europe with two region switches on the bottom. It is a very clean clone.

The good: It plays Sonic 3, meaning it is a better clone than a Radica. The board is also very small, about the size of a Genesis cart.

The bad: The AV connector does not work with a standard Genesis 2/3 RF adapter. It outputs greyscale and no sound through the US Genesis 2/3 adaptor, much like a Brazilian unit would. It works fine with its own Genesis 3 style pack-in mono composite cable. The supplied power source also has a very short cable.

The plan: I want to find out if the clone has stereo sudio and all the standard Genesis 2/3 AV options. I'll add standard AV-out ports if I find anything in there available.
I don't like forum signatures.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:30 pm

Nice! Now we won't have to feel bad about sacrificing Genny3 mobo's to the almighty portablizing overlord!

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:19 pm

I really look forward to the pictures and some more information (voltage needs, etc. etc.). Seems awesome already.

By the way, where did you get it?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:26 pm

...& how much!? (If I recall correctly, Genny3's where being sold for $20 5 years ago...)

bevo

Post by bevo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 am

I want, where did you get this from?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Yeah, where exactly DID you get this from? Looks like a neat product to dink around with! :D

CTFan

roto

Post by roto » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:02 pm

I got my GameJoy 16-Bit at Super Potato in Tokyo, it cost something like $10USD so it was a hell of a bargain. I didn't think ahead to pick up a few.
I actually had to scrap the packaging in order to ship the thing back with me to the US, it was just too big. No big deal, crappy cardboard anyway. The store had TONS of them, so someone is pumping these things out like crazy. It came with a 6-in-1 game cart.

But on to my point:

This thing is TINY inside. PERFECT for a portable. Plays all the games I've tested so far.

Inside:

The Japan/Other and NTSC/PAL switches.

Another shot to (hopefully) show the small size of the system.
Image[/img]

The main PCB is just a hair bigger than a genesis cart. Closer to an SNES catridge really. Anyway its a hell of a system to make into a portable.

Just watch out for that 10v 1.2a power supply. I tried using the 10v 0.85a adapter and the system would crap itself.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:34 pm

By the looks of it, you could slim it down to the mainboard. Problem is, those capacitors. It would be hard to find a place to glue them onto on the board as I do with most systems.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

evildragon

Post by evildragon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:35 pm

woah woah woah, wait a minute here.. it outputs greyscale with a regular Gen2/3 composite cable?

Sounds like the luminance channel, of S-Video to me... 8) Try and make a cable, or mess with the pins on it, there may be a chrominance channel there too..

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:39 pm

My gamejoy outputs in full color. >_>
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:57 pm

roto wrote:I got my GameJoy 16-Bit at Super Potato in Tokyo, it cost something like $10USD so it was a hell of a bargain. I didn't think ahead to pick up a few.
So lemme get this straight: No online retailers, you have to get this stuff from Japan? Aww. :cry:

CTFan

bevo

Post by bevo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:10 pm

We need these imported! It already looks like a portable.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:18 pm

I am going to tape a screen to the back of mine and tape a controller and mod a ac adaptor connector with a battery for a quick portable. Maybe.

ransoman

Post by ransoman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:43 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
roto wrote:I got my GameJoy 16-Bit at Super Potato in Tokyo, it cost something like $10USD so it was a hell of a bargain. I didn't think ahead to pick up a few.
So lemme get this straight: No online retailers, you have to get this stuff from Japan? Aww. :cry:

CTFan
as with most of these, i doubt it will be too long untill we see them becomming more available.

ebay etc...

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:51 am

I live in CA, there's always a readily available amount of this stuff at the flea markets imported from Mexico. If I run into some & have the money, I'll pick 2 up & sell one here for $20...