Playstation Screen Confusion

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Link89
Playstation Screen Confusion

Post by Link89 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:44 pm

I got my playstation and screen today and took it apart to get it ready for the white led mod. I finally opened it up to discover my wasn't anything like the one displayed. It's still backlight but it's something in the screen but I was just curious about wgat it was. Works fine and looks the backlight comes from inside the screen. Anything would help, maybe I went crazy or something. :D

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:57 pm

Well the first thing I'd do is go check out abbibi's site. There's a section on screen mods and it shows how to do a backlight mod on a PSone screen.
(here's a link)

If you've already read that and you're still confused then make sure that you've opened up the LCD module all the way.

Hope this helps!
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:52 pm

It doesn't matter that much it's still backlight, I was just wondering about it. I was using Abbibi's backlight mod though so I was just confused when mine looked nothing like his.

Stooge

Post by Stooge » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:32 pm

Could it be an EL-sheet behind or in front of the screen? I doubt that if its an official PS-One screen it would differ from any other official screen but if yours is third party then maby. :?:

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:29 pm

Well, the newer (discontinued) Sony psone screens have a "U" shaped light rather than an "L" under a peace of metal (than some plastic) surrounding the screen. There is almost no room to put an led, and you have to take it almost completely apart to get to it (remove glass, plastic film, the works.)

What brand do you have?

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:56 pm

I had one of those! I put it back to gether and returned it eb games :twisted: (the evil empire) :twisted:

Quall

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:33 am

yah, but mine was used and came with a PSone for $97 (for both).

Link89

Post by Link89 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:06 am

I got it off of ebay for like $70. It's the official Sony PSone screen. I think it's the one you're talking about. It doesn't have any of the parts that Abbibis has for the led screen mod.

Quall

Post by Quall » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:56 pm

here is a copy and paste job from benheck.com. I believe it is the same screen as yours and mine from the description, but cannot be sure because he image on the site doesn't seem to be showing up.
Ah, a personal holy grail of mine. I bought a PS One screen a while ago because, well, let's face it, $130 for a 5-inch TFT screen? You can't beat that!

BUT (there's always a butt) the darn thing consumes around 1 amp (not milliamp, AMP) of power at 7.2 volts. You hook this thing onto a PSOne and it uses as much or MORE power than the game system itself.

So, where to turn... Where indeed! White LED's! Of course, the PSOne screen has this really odd bulb thing going around the backlight plastic. It's U-shaped and covers 3 sides of the plastic. Well, I ditched that thing and stuck in 3 LED's, each pointing down a side, much like marching soldiers or that scene in Tron.

If any of you other tinkerers would like to give this a go, just wire (3) 3mm white LED's in parallel off the PS One's +7.2v power source and put a 22 ohm resistor in front of them.

The end result? A screen that now consumes only 350mA when running, a mere 35% of the original power sucking. GEE! What could I have in mind for this screen? Only time will tell!