SNES Audio...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
SNES Audio...

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:49 pm

Well here's the deal: I lost one of my speakers in the several months that I was working on school rather than portables. But that's ok. My design only has room on the right side. I COULD have 2 speakers there if it was absoutely neccesary.

But does the SNES have any sounds that I'd be missing if I only had mono output? If the answer is yes, do you think 2 speakers on the same side runniong stereo would be better than having one running mono (other than being twice as loud)?

:mrgreen: When was the last time Mr. Green was used?
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: SNES Audio...

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:51 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Well here's the deal: I lost one of my speakers in the several months that I was working on school rather than portables. But that's ok. My design only has room on the right side. I COULD have 2 speakers there if it was absoutely neccesary.

But does the SNES have any sounds that I'd be missing if I only had mono output? If the answer is yes, do you think 2 speakers on the same side runniong stereo would be better than having one running mono (other than being twice as loud)?

:mrgreen: When was the last time Mr. Green was used?
You might be able to hook up the left and right audio lines to the same speaker, then it would have whatever was different between the two.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:52 pm

the mini outputs mono so your fine (if its a mini)

v1 snes just combine the right and left signals

and mr green was used in my sig about 30 minutes ago :mrgreen:
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:55 pm

That was the single quickest response I've ever gotten. The mini outputs mono? :cry: I'm mad at nintendo for making the mini suck.

So the 2 spots on the Audio Chip in the book doesn't give stereo?
Hey, sup?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:58 pm

it does out put stereo if you get it fromn the two spots in the book but it does mono if you get it from the jack
and to get sound from the jack you also need to supply power to the input lead were the 7805 used to be, if you removed it
:)
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:11 pm

doe the sound output on a snes have to be amplified or can you just hook a speaker with a pot for volume controll and have it able to be heard well? im guessing it needs and amp (my psone screens audio circuit is dead i think)

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:23 pm

Mine is too. I ordered a small audio amp kit (1W per speaker, 6-12V DC, 200mA).

If you're not inputting anything into the PSOne audio amp, does it still use power? And how much?
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Triton wrote:doe the sound output on a snes have to be amplified or can you just hook a speaker with a pot for volume controll and have it able to be heard well? im guessing it needs and amp (my psone screens audio circuit is dead i think)
I hooked headphones up to my N64 and it was fine, they had the volume adjust on them so I didn't blast out my ear drums.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:35 pm

My mini outputs barely anything without an amp. Headphones are ok (not during a noisey car ride or anything, they're "OK" in a quiet room) but speakers aren't good. You need to concentrate really hard with the speaker against your ear to hear anything without an amp.
Hey, sup?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:41 pm

what about the original snes?

grahf

Post by grahf » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Most of the time when your taking audio output from an a/v port, the level will be very low.

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:31 pm

Yeah the output of a console is meant to be amplified. Most of the screens have an amplifier built in though. If you don't have one built in you might consider buying some very cheap computer speakers at a yard sale, they can mostly run at 6V or something and they don't waste too much power.