Playstation trouble

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Playstation trouble

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:21 pm

The other day I was looking at my younger sister's PSone. It is one of the newer ones and I began to wonder how small the circuit board actually was. I opened it up and ended up disconnecting the Cd player from the main board. After a brief gander I pluged the data ribbon and cable back in. I tested it to see if I had accidently caused any damage. The CD player no longer works. The playstation is fine, it starts up and I can edit my memory cards, but the CD player doesn't seem to be getting any power or information. Suprisingly, my sister wasn't angry and ended up just giving me the whole thing.

My knowledge of electronics is slim. I happened to stumble across this website a few days ago, and so I thought I'd ask for any help you guys could give. I've basically accepted that I probably screwed up the cd unit somehow, and will thus have to replace it. Seeing as old playstations are dirt cheap I was wondering if a CD player from one of the older bigger models could be put in a newer playstation. I checked on a site for replacement parts, but it seemed overpriced considering I can buy a whole playstation for $20.

If I could salvage this CD player I'd be very happy.

Anyway, please help me if you can.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:52 pm

Sorry about it breaking but it sounds like you'll ethier have to get a replacement drive or a new playstation. Game console repair will repair for a reasonable price. I don't think You can use an old playstation drive. Are you going to turn it into a portable. Sorry if this wasn't much help I know a lot more about the Xbox then any other system.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:24 am

Isn't there a brown clip that accepts the ribbon cable? Slide open the top brown part with your fingers slowly, and insert the ribbon cable into the void that was created. Press down on the brown part onece you get the cable all the way in, and slide it back into place. BTW don't those types of CD ROMS have a seperate cable for the two motors? Check to see if you have them, and plug them in onto the board in their respective places.
Last edited by vb_master on Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:36 am

Well if you've tried several times at reconnecting the cd-rom, and making sure the ribbin cable connectors are facing the right way then just buy a new PSOne. At $20 and the fact you sent $0 on that one whats the lose? really.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

stereth

Post by stereth » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:20 pm

Try it a few more times. That ribbon cable can be tough to put in right. Use needle nose pliers if you have a pair.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:32 pm

Thanks a lot for the help guys, but it was to no avail. Unfortunatly I left the motherboard exposed while I went to the bathroom and when I returned I found my cat lying next to it. I don't know what he did, whether he scratched or shocked it, but the playstation is now dead.

Thanks for the help Anyway.