psxp case design

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

luke16
psxp case design

Post by luke16 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:42 am

i have been working on this case for a while and would like some input. the disc reader and memory card will be on the back but i am not that far yet. i plan on designing the back and sides pretty soon.

anyway, i would like feedback on to weather it needs something or looks uncomfortable to hold.

Image[/img]

the green button on the bottom left is a power led and the red one is for low battery. i decided to leave the d-pad out because i don't use it. the thing in the middle twards the bottom is a speaker.

the analog sticks will be replaced with nes a and b buttons to make them smaller.
Last edited by luke16 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

luke16

Post by luke16 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:08 am

did the back real quickly.

i'll build in the memory card or keep trying to find a space. possibly on the bottom/side.

anyway, the badly spelled things at the bottom are the sony L series batteries.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:29 am

Looks pretty good. It may need to be a bit taller than in those diagrams, but that can all be worked out in the process. I also recommend throwing in the D pad. Not much extra work, plus you may find a game one day that you like that uses the D pad.

CTFan

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:53 am

He's right, I can't play THPS without a thumbpad, even on dreamcast when the thumbstick is comfortable to use.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

luke16

Post by luke16 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39 pm

ok with the added d-pad, anything else that looks wrong? i am going to have the memory card sticking out of the bottom a little.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:43 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Not much extra work, plus you may find a game one day that you like that uses the D pad.

CTFan
Yeah. Final Fantasy VII requires the D-pad.

chanticlair281

Post by chanticlair281 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:29 pm

Are there any games that require the stick? My Playstaion controller only has the D-pad thus my psp is designed for only a D-pad.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:38 am

...If you're going to take elements from my concept design from the POD site, by all means, but please at least give preoper credit. People, compare it to my concept PS1A design at the POD site. It was drawn in 9/10/2004.

small
http://portablesofdoom.org/images/ps1athumb.jpg

full size
http://portablesofdoom.org/images/ps1a.jpg

The shape, shadowing, shoulder button outlines, the LED and button configuration at the base, the errors in sizing, and the three notches at the base (which are actually switches, if you look at the high res version) are the same...Even the shadowing seems to be the same, merely darkened.

Furthermore, note that the shoulder buttons are present on the first picture luke presented, but on the back design, he added them in a completely different place...and left the original shoulder buttons on the outline...as if he didn't even notice they were there to begin with.

I'm willing for my design to be used or even modified by others, but please give me credit for the parts that are of my design instead of claiming it entirely as your original work. This also applies to parts of your concept art which is copied from my own. I spent a long time drawing that thing in MS-Paint, and am proud of it. I'm not a fan of outright plagarism...and the fact you've claimed to be working on the case for "a while" seems to add insult to injury.

If I am incorrect, I apologize in advance, but the similarities are just too striking to ignore.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Woah, now that is an awesome design. If I built a psp, it would make it look like that!
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:09 pm

Holy crap, yeah, that's really cool. And you did it in MS Paint? Did you pixel edit or use Paint's crappy tools? I've pixel edited small concepts of designs, but nothing as big as that. Good job!
I'm totally the 2008th member.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Paint tools, then I edited pixel by pixel with the help of the zoom tool. There are a lot of concepts at http://portablesofdoom.org/ , as well as completed consoles, most contributed by members of this forum. It is a good place to look for ideas, just be sure to make your own art and give credit where it is due.

In any case, this thread is about luke16's idea, and I didn't mean to show off my design, merely to show that he plagarized. As for if Luke's idea will work or not, it seems plausible, though if everything is internal the scale will need to be larger. My scale was off as well.

Furthermore, some games simply do not work as well without digital control. You'd think analog was always better, but sometimes it can be a hinderance to have an analog stick when all you need is Up, Down, Left, and Right.
Warranty-Voiding fun!