symptoms of a sleeping board?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

csurban
Portablizer
symptoms of a sleeping board?

Post by csurban » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:46 pm

The N64 does not output ANY AV signals, not even the flicker when I turn it on. I checked and rechecked the connection because even my fried board makes the screen jump when turning it on. I checked the 7805 on the board and discovered there is no voltage entering or leaving it. I'm guessing this is why the AV is not working. I'm inputting 9 volts and 3.3 volts into the correct areas with an adapter rated for up to 2.2 amps. How come the power is not going to all the board? Has this happened to anyone else?
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Odd, I'll check one of my N64s and get back to you on some things that could cause it. Also, IIRC the 5V is only used for the graphics processing, the game will continue to run while 5V isn't connected.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:57 pm

--The following is all I know of that could be errors---

Well, it hasn't happened to me. If the RED light is turning on, then its not sleeping. Is it connected to a screen or tv. also, even though the n64 will run off of 9 volts, try plugging in the original power supply. Basicly what I'm saying, is that you should check to see if everything runs without batterys or screen, but on the original cables. If it doesn't, then try checking the game. if you rewired cart slot check that, check expansion/jumper pack, check for ANY solder joints that may be touching, even on the green stuff, and, check the tv/screen. Thats all you can do, I think. Maybe the 7805 is bad

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:04 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:--The following is all I know of that could be errors---

Well, it hasn't happened to me. If the RED light is turning on, then its not sleeping. Is it connected to a screen or tv. also, even though the n64 will run off of 9 volts, try plugging in the original power supply. Basicly what I'm saying, is that you should check to see if everything runs without batterys or screen, but on the original cables. If it doesn't, then try checking the game. if you rewired cart slot check that, check expansion/jumper pack, check for ANY solder joints that may be touching, even on the green stuff, and, check the tv/screen. Thats all you can do, I think. Maybe the 7805 is bad

SS
The red led doesn't work on a dead N64? If so, then my N64 is still alive. :D

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:11 pm

No. If the N64 doesn't work, and the red LED does not come on, you probably blew a time-delay fuse inside the N64. Just wait a day or so, then try it again.

If the red LED comes on, but the N64 doesn't work (doesn't show a picture, etc.), it's most likely toast.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:34 pm

I don't think the 7805 is bad as no voltage is being inputed to it. the board itself wont give it juice. The red light does come on so it may be toast like you said. I'm going to check the fuses to see if any are blown
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 pm

Well i figured out what the problem was. My AV connections were touching :oops: so i tried it out outside the case and it worked fine. when i put it back in the case i could not get it to boot a cartridge. the screen flickered green like it is suppost to but no amount of fiddling with the cartridge connections worked. tomarrow im going to remove them and put them back in their holes. maby some poped out a little bit and arnt connecting. That would explain why the fiddling dident work

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:04 pm

csurban wrote: My AV connections were touching :oops:
HA HA! I knew it! I said it first HA HA!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;