SNESp MKII 100% DONE W/PICS!!! Really, I FINALLY got 'em up!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
SNESp MKII 100% DONE W/PICS!!! Really, I FINALLY got 'em up!

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu May 11, 2006 3:29 pm

EDIT: Pics FINALLY hosted! See pg. 2 for all the juicy results!

See Turbo/SNESguy, you're not the only one who can make SNESp's MKII-ified :lol: ! Anyways, down to business. My previous SNES case was never meant to be permanent; it was just kinda there until I got the stuff together to make this new case! Plus, my old case is getting kinda neglected and all, with paint coming off (damn Krylon Fusion....no clue why the crap is stripping off) and a dented corner (kid at school dropped it) I figured it was time to get started on my new case.

It's gonna be a frankenmod, and I'm going to be using a SNES Original case to house the guts. The screen is going to be mounted on the front where the cart slot used to be, and the external controller will be mounted where the power/reset and eject buttons were. To cover the empty controller ports, I'm going to mount the power and reset switches where they used to be. Pretty cool, 'eh?

One problem right now is bonding ABS bits to parts of the cart slot. I know ABS doesn't take to superglue well, so I was going to sand the inside, clean w/rubbing alcohol, epoxy, then hot glue. Should that be strong enough?

Another issue is the battery pack. On my SNESP MKI, the pack was external; however, this time I want to make it internal, then have the male/female RC jacks coming out w/no battery visible. I'm using a Radio Shack 3300mAh battery, and I was wondering how long it'll last me; if it's anything less than about a year, I'll mount external for easy replacement. But if not, I'm gonna try squeezing it on the inside.

The part that REALLY worries me, though, is transferring the actual guts. I REALLY don't want to break anything!

CTFan

PS- My SNESp and NESp won me the science fair! Although my dumbass teacher gave me an A- on it because she doesn't know anything about circuits. The other day in class, she said a switch was a type of potentiometer! Geez. Plus, all the other science teachers agree that it was an A+ project. Now my perfect GPA is ruined! Good thing I'm not in high school yet! 4 more weeks....
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Tue May 16, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 pm

I think I was the first to call it the Mk II, but yeah, that's ok. 8)

I've been debating wether or not to make a Mk III, because I have a new case idea in my head, and it's bugging me. Stay tuned. :D
If all else fails, take it apart!

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu May 11, 2006 3:36 pm

sweet good luck on it this time

Howsabout turbo circuits?
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu May 11, 2006 5:34 pm

stole my idea! lol snesP with original snes case parts is copyright triton! i demand 5$ in royalty fees! lol jk, good luck

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Thu May 11, 2006 6:37 pm

your so lucky you can put a portable in the science fair

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu May 11, 2006 7:48 pm

Triton wrote:stole my idea! lol snesP with original snes case parts is copyright triton! i demand 5$ in royalty fees! lol jk, good luck
:lol: Don't call the feds! Anyways, I just went out and got me a Dremel tonight, so I can start working on the case tomorrow. I hope to have it done over the weekend. It's looking really good gutted and all, and the controller is semi-mounted. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on all this!

CTFan

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri May 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Okay, I'm currently dremel-ing out the inside of the case, and have a decision to make when I'm done; should I put the screen on the front where the cart slot was and mount the controller below that, thus making the cart slot on the "bottom" of the SNESp? Or should I put the screen on the "bottom" of the SNESp and mount the controller under that, thus making the cart slot stick out the original cart slot hole? Right now, I'm leaning towards decision one, but I do need to know from you guys what you think would finish better.

Thanks,
CTFan

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat May 13, 2006 12:43 am

Hmm, you might get a smoother look if you go with option 2... I can't exactly remember what the bottom of the case looks like. If you did that, it would be pretty much flush with the bottom, right?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat May 13, 2006 8:02 am

Ya, I was just thinking the same thing. Here's a picture of the bottom, so just imagine a screen on it and a controller mounted below. Here's the bottom view:

Here's the top (this is NOT my SNES :lol: ):

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat May 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Eeew.... clean that thing up a little before you do anything!
Refusing to change my avatar since like freakin 2007.

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:32 pm

he said its not his

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat May 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Nick wrote:Eeew.... clean that thing up a little before you do anything!
Ya I ripped that image from Google b/c I'm too lazy to take pics of my own. That one does look super crappy, though! Mine is in near mint condition (smoke-free household :wink: )

CTFan

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat May 13, 2006 9:32 pm

so whadabout the thread in case construction?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat May 13, 2006 9:34 pm

That was just for ideas; this is for the decided, actual product.

CTFan

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat May 13, 2006 9:40 pm

oh ok well...

I shall come up with more crazy ideas