N64P

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:40 pm

copulate that would be nice but dont you think you would at least recomend the portable parts then every one would have the same thing... meh the formula is alwyas the same board controler ps1 screen and sony handy cam battry

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:18 am

yeah, that is a nice idea. If I did something like that I'd include tactile buttons mounted in place for the controller though. The whole problem is the fact that different people use different parts, so I think that although generic cases would be good, custom cases would be more popular.
Depending how my first try at forming goes, I might try something like that.

diggerdanh

Post by diggerdanh » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:19 am

You could probably start off with a case for each type of system and then maybe a generic case. Then if it proved to be lucrative (or at least worth your time) then you could possibly create custom cases or "levels" of customization to basic cases.

Level 1 could be the basic case. Level 2 could include tactile switches installed. Level 3 could include battery / power unit. Etc.

One (or a couple) of you enterprising young gentleman should give it a go at least on a limited basis at first. Make a trial run and see how it does.

I really think Ben should give it a go and try starting up an entire little cottage industry around portablizing. He's got the background and clout - heck he even has a book on the way!! Could start out making cases, then find an LCD supplier to make screens for the cases, and eventually maybe even create his own handheld line. The sky is the limit.

< Shameless self-promotion >
BTW, Ben, when you're ready for your full-blown e-commerce site give me a shout. I have tons of experience. (I work here and this is my part-time attempt at self-employement here.)
< / Shameless self-promotion >

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:09 pm

it would be nice for people who want to make a case but have no equpment to ask or send plaster molds of what they want i would certanly pay up to 50 bucks to get my DC and 64 molds done by some one with the tables

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:26 pm

hmm....yeah, It could hapen, especially since it seems that many more people are getting into portable building lately.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:58 pm

I think that the screen should be included because if the buyer needs to get it, the screen may have been discontinued. (and that's not too uncommon)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:06 am

meh most of the portable screens are 5.4" screens

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:15 am

Yeah, but if there are mounting holes in the case for a certain screen, it may not fit. Also, you may get some newbie to go into a panic attack when he cannot get whatever screen.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:11 am

yeah... stockpile screens...

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:40 pm

ok, I've got another update for my n64p.
I've replaced the n64's joystick with one from a broken ps2 controller. This process probably wouldn't work with a normal n64 controller, but since I'm using the offbrand boomerang version, it works. The reason for this is that the official n64 controller's joystick uses a led and 2 photoresistors to work while the offbrand one that I'm using uses 2 potentiometers to work, which is the same as the ps2 joystick.
Not only is the joystick smaller, it also has a button in it. I plan on making this a second start button since I noticed the one in the middle is a little out of reach. I might even make it the only start button and have the middle button be the power switch.

someone

Post by someone » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:32 am

do you have any n64 pics for us?

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:51 am

check out my site if you want them :)
Here's a link for you

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:04 am

no one seems to notice that i said copulate before i am sorry for the ethnic slur...

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:09 pm

Crap!! :evil:
I just broke my n64!! I guess that another one won't be too expensive, but I already had this on ready to put in the case!

cennar

Post by cennar » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:45 am

yeah the next time i get a n64 i wont try and relocate the cart... as tempting as it looks i just cant copulate up another one like that.

but i think i'll put all my atention towards the DrEamCAsT portable