TS-64 Worklog / Questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3
Re: N64 Portable

Post by samjc3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58 am

JariV wrote:Hijacking topic in 1

If I buy two batterys, do I need 2 PCB's? Or can I attach both to 1?
depends. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

JariV

Post by JariV » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 am

I want to buy the PCB from the OP, and the PCB from the OP. I hope you need only one PCB since I wanna attach a fuel gauge.
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:52 pm

JariV wrote:Hijacking topic in 1

If I buy two batterys, do I need 2 PCB's? Or can I attach both to 1?
Hey, get off my topic! I have things that are supposed to go in here to say.

I got my gamebit! That is all. :D
No, I didn't write that "N" on it. That was there.

Wait, that's not all! *gasp at my own wrongness about myself* Is there a screw under the rubber thingies on the bottom of the N64? It seems I can't dislodge the AV jack.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:33 pm

The n64 is successfully apart. Pics in a little while.

edit: pictures are here
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

JariV

Post by JariV » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 am

smitty wrote:No, I didn't write that "N" on it. That was there.
Yeah, I know. It's secret code. Nintendo uses it to communicate with aliens who have thru-plastic-seeing goggles.
My Pikachu Edition has an I. Or it could be an L. To be completely sure I'd need such goggles, but Nintendo ignores all my requests.
themadhacker wrote:

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:30 pm

JariV wrote:
smitty wrote:No, I didn't write that "N" on it. That was there.
Yeah, I know. It's secret code. Nintendo uses it to communicate with aliens who have thru-plastic-seeing goggles.
My Pikachu Edition has an I. Or it could be an L. To be completely sure I'd need such goggles, but Nintendo ignores all my requests.
You have a Pikachu one!? :o How much do they usually cost on eBay?

I got my screen hooked up to the N64! It's clearly not a permanent setup,(the video's on the first page) but it works. It's the first real accomplishment I've had on this project, so I'm pretty excited. :)

JariV

Post by JariV » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:35 am

smitty wrote:You have a Pikachu one!? :o How much do they usually cost on eBay?
Actually, I got 2 :P
1 from when they were still for sale in *normal* stores, and one from a friend.
themadhacker wrote:

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Do I need to keep the Expansion Pak's heat sink? My dad is suggesting that I attach it to the main heat sink somehow. Would that work?

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:57 pm

The expansion pack does need a heatsink and what people normally do is use a copper sheet to cover all the heatsinks on the motherboard,
and then bend it up to form a heatsink for the exp. pack.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 am

Would something simple like this work? Just bending the expansion pack's heatsink back over the main heatsink?
heatsink.png
Obviously the sizes are off, but I think you get the idea.
heatsink.png (8.19KiB)Viewed 3827 times

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 pm

OK, since no one said anything about my heatsink idea, i'll just ask another question. I think I heard somewhere that the wire from the controller cord is a good wire to use in the portable. Would it work for connecting the batteries to their protection circuit, voltage regulator, N64, and screen? Or for pretty much everything in the portable?

nobble

Post by nobble » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:29 pm

I would use a little bit thicker wire for the battery wiring but then you can use the controller wire for anything else.

Computer cables are good sources of wire for relocating the cart slot.

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Not really sure if I have anything else to use... I have a little bit of wire, but I'm not sure how big it is compared to the controller wire. It might be bigger. I'll find out, someday...

smitty

Re: TS-64 Worklog / Questions

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:28 am

I have decided to call this the TS-64. TS standing for Tim Smith. I'm planning on finally hooking up the batteries after lunch. But it may have to be delayed until after a bike ride. But don't fret, I'll probably only go about 5 miles, so like, 30 minutes. Plus lunch.

smitty

Re: TS-64 Worklog / Questions

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Yeah, so it took me a little more than a half hour to get around to this. But whatever. Anyway, I have a question about soldering. I have this protection circuit and two of these batteries. Just to make sure this thing doesn't explode i my face, I have a question. I solder the negative side of one battery to the part that says B-, the positive side of that battery to the part next to COM, the negative side of the other battery to the part next to COM, and the positive side of it to the part that says B+, right? Like I said, I'm trying to not make this thing blow up. :P