N64P

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

MR.MOD

Post by MR.MOD » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:58 pm

If I make a N64p I'll put the d pad on it. I don't think it would look like a n64 w/o the d pad.

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:34 pm

I relocated the cartridge port and tested it. It works good and is pretty sturdy. I'm going to redesign my original plans for the case a little bit. I've decided that if I raise the cartridge area a little bit I can reduce the overall depth of the unit a little bit. This will also allow me to make a better grip area.

MR.MOD

Post by MR.MOD » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:24 pm

Good job gannon, looks great. How long did it take you to solder all 98 wires?

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:33 pm

It only took me a litlle over 2 hours to solder them all, but it also took me around an hour to strip all the wires. I also put a thin coat of hot glue on the bottom of the cartridge port to help prevent any off the wires falling off.

someone

Post by someone » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:41 pm

what were you using to strip them????

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:57 pm

I was just using a cheap pair of wire strippers. The problem is that the ribbon cable I was using had extremely small guage wire. My good pair of wire strippers couldn't work for it.

someone

Post by someone » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:24 pm

I have some fun $20 wire strippers :) you can do about 10 wires at a time :)

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:00 pm

hmm.... I was doing some work in CAD today, and I noticed my old n64's case sitting by my feat. I then noticed the interesting things on the front sides of the case. I picked it up and held it by those and noticed that it's actually pretty nice. So I decided that, since I need grips in my n64p anyways, I'll style them after those....

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:00 pm

my n64's old case is in.... less than perfect condition :twisted:

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:10 pm

yeah, I took my dremel and carved out around the screews on the bottom. I can't even notice that it's been opened except that the top can just be pulled off now.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:22 am

ok, well I thought that I posted this last night, but I must have pressed preview instead of post. :(
Anyways, I finished the new design for my case so here it is. :)
For some reason it looks like the top widens out towards the top, but just in case you are wondering, it doesn't.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:34 am

I have to complemet you on the design for the N64p, its the best I've seen. I have to ask, as you're cutting the controller are you going to keep the slot for the memory car/rumble pak/GB adapter?

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product, its sure to look great.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:55 am

yeah, I'm keeping the memory card slot in the controller. I'm not using the standard n64 controller either, I'm using a contoller called the boomerang controller. Instead of having just one board, it has a main board and 2 button boards. Because of that, it's a lot easier to fit in the case. It even has a built in rumble pack, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to use it.

diggerdanh

Post by diggerdanh » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:58 pm

You know, I've been thinking about this for awhile, and a person could probably make some decent coin by designing and selling only cases for portables, along with maybe some simple step-by-step installation instructions. Nothing too detailed, just where to put boards, hooking up inputs and outputs, etc. Especially nice cases like Ben made for his Atari's or even just some of the vacuum formed designs I've seen around here.

I like working with the systems and trying to make them smaller, but I'm not very artistic and not much into design. I could probably do the vacuum form thing, but that just doesn't sound like that much fun to me because I don't want to have to design the case. I don't want to have all my cases be plastic tackle boxes or Radio Shack project boxes, either - I do have some pride !! I'd much rather buy a pre-made case and then modify it to fit my needs (if needed) by cutting a couple new holes, etc.

Just remarking that there could possibly be a market for selling cases for various portables that we create. I would probably stick to the basic systems - Atari 2600, NES (using super joy nes on a chip), SNES, N64, PS1. Then maybe offer to create additional on a custom basis. If I was doing it I would probably design it around using a PSONE screen, since that is probably the most easily available. Maybe it could even include the controls (gamepad) and buttons with it?

One more thought, if cases were available then it would probably make me think long and hard about mass producing portable systems (on a small scale, of course). If not for selling at the local flea market, then at least for giving to my family and friends as gifts.

Just my 2cents.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:46 pm

Maybe send a finished case, buttons, a screen, and maybe a battery. It would then be up to the buyer to add the system motherboard.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.