I made an Super Nintoaster

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Quezacotll
I made an Super Nintoaster

Post by Quezacotll » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:09 am

I've been trying to register on this site for a long time, there's a bug in site that puts COPPA on for adults, and Ben Heck can't reach to my registration activation mail. Eventually i made an another username.

But to the point. I was gonna make an Nintoaster, after i watched some AVGN episodes. Or well my friend wanted, but then i ended up with SNES, because FC Twin has both.

I made an site about it too when i was bored :D
https://sites.google.com/site/markosstu ... nintoaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are your thoughts? :)

And by the way, since i have a TV capable of both PAL and NTSC, i dont really know if it shows the picture as black and white on PAL TV.
I tried changing the two jumper positions on power board and SNES board. They do change the picture into wide screen and even more wide screen, but i changed them back.
So i ask, anyone know what those two jumpers actually do?
And as you may have guessed, the Twin is USA version. Atleast i think, because it came with USA plug.
Last edited by Quezacotll on Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

bentendo64

Re: I made an Super Nintoaster

Post by bentendo64 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:48 pm

I really like it :D
http://bentendo64.co.cc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mmm, extra performance for free. The essence of overclocking."

Quezacotll

Post by Quezacotll » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 am

Now i have black and white picture. I thought it was previously related to cartridge connector, but apparently there's something else.

First time this problem appeared was when i extended the cart connector, and removed NES, and disappeared after i shortened the cart connector wire. But now i can't find out where the problem is. It just got like this suddenly.

Any ideas?
And anyone can confirm, can bad cart connector make the picture b/w? So i can close one section off from the troubleshooting.

Quezacotll

Post by Quezacotll » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:51 am

I tried to resolder some spots on the power board, and clean it, but now it got even worse, the picture is very dark.

And now i managed to get some kind of color picture out of it, by connecting RGB to SCART, but the picture is still dark. (I did'nt disconnect the power board, i just took signals from the middle of boards).

So now i know the problem is on power board. Maybe in the video chip :(

Still any ideas what to do?

Sucks that i need to disconnect the power board every time i want to touch it, because the space is so narrow in the toaster. :D

Quezacotll

Post by Quezacotll » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:35 pm

This time i removed the power board completely, just to make sure it's the power board...

I connected only 5V, GND, R,G,B, Sync, but the picture is still dark.

I noticed that when i decreased the voltage, the picture got even darker, and at about 4V, it shut down. Well, i tried increasing the voltage to see what happens. I increased it carefully to 6V and it got brighter :D
But that's little offtopic.

But to the question. Is it supposed to be that dark when your pulling RGB out? I'm just having straight connection to TV, no resistors etc. on the way.

EDIT:

Okay, today i browsed the internet, and found out that the CXA1645, pin SCIN could cause the B/W picture. I read someone somewhere said that if the crystal is broken that leads to it, it gets B/W. Well, there's no crystal on power board, it must be on SNES board, or some other method is used.
I'll check that today.

EDIT2:
I tried to trace the SCIN, but no use.
I decided to change all caps and resistors on before the CXA chip, but no use.
I've tried about everything i can think of.

But now i got some progress. I decided to try reflowing the power board and little of SNES board i could reach, to get rid of any possible solder blobs or anything, and it worked, partially. Now i'm on the starting spot, just B/W picture, no dark picture.
Except without power board, straight from RGB, it's dark, but that's propably because there's no amplification.

EDIT3:
Okay, now i've progressed as far that i can get color temporarily just by touching the SCIN pin. I see it goes to ground throught 30p, and ground throught 10n & 82p. Strange circuit.

Quezacotll

Post by Quezacotll » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 am

I found out that the CXA1645 was broken. Sometimes working, sometimes not.

So, i found an old PSX N-PAL selector in my store, basically a RGB to composite. I decided to look inside, there was CXA1645.

Okay, then i tried to just swap the video board with the selector, but did'nt work. Maybe because of some voltage levels or something.
Then i decided to use heat gun to blow the broken chip and working one off their boards, and swap them.
It's WORKING!

And today i'll reinstall the case, and continue playing :)

superJace

Post by superJace » Sun May 01, 2011 7:41 pm

That is awesome :mrgreen:

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Congratulations on your snazzy toaster! I'm going to make one out of a vintage 60's chrome toaster soon.
Also, thanks for the info; it explains why my old SNES would only output video in black and white.
Finally: the surface!