Sega Genesis portable Help

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

DJ Wrath
Sega Genesis portable Help

Post by DJ Wrath » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am

I am going to start to make my own sega geneseis portable console and I am new to doing all this. Could someone help me get started and show me what is the best tools to use and what parts are recommended to use? I would really like some help to get started. Thanks.

Acronell

Re: Sega Genesis portable Help

Post by Acronell » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 am

DJ Wrath wrote:I am going to start to make my own sega geneseis portable console and I am new to doing all this. Could someone help me get started and show me what is the best tools to use and what parts are recommended to use? I would really like some help to get started. Thanks.
Use a Genesis 3
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

~+~Doki Doki Tari Desu-Ruby Tuts/Ideas
~+~SeeTheMasterPlay on deviantART - My deviantART

DJ Wrath

Post by DJ Wrath » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:30 pm

ok i was thinking about taking apart a sega nomad and use the inside stuff would that work?if not then ill use the genesis 3. And what is a good case i could use also what screen should i use?

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:54 am

DJ Wrath wrote:ok i was thinking about taking apart a sega nomad and use the inside stuff would that work?if not then ill use the genesis 3. And what is a good case i could use also what screen should i use?
Why would you use an already Portable Sega to make another one? It seems like a waste to me.
Plus that thing drained batteries ridiculously, at least the one I had did.

Using a Genesis 3 is one of the better ways to go about it, try using on of these screens:

XCKDIY 3.5inch Screen

For a case, you would either need to Franken-Case it yourself, or vacuum form a case yourself, or you can pay someone else to do it for you.
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

~+~Doki Doki Tari Desu-Ruby Tuts/Ideas
~+~SeeTheMasterPlay on deviantART - My deviantART

maxd

Post by maxd » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Seeing as you posted in the handheld area about this, I'll go in depth a bit here.

The Nomad is a fantastic piece of hardware to deal with if you can handle the bulk and if you intend on using real cartridges. The insides are basically a Genesis model 3 board that is missing a few minor components (that can easily be added, for instance 32X compatibility). The plus sides are that you can simply perform the rechargable battery and screen replacement mods and have yourself a fine handheld. It even has the X Y Z buttons if you're into fighters. It also has TV out and a second controller port. These aren't necessary, but it is nice to have it.

I love my Nomad and use it daily (even though I haven't modded it *yet*, only opened it once out of curiosity). If you can deal with hauling around your favorite game cartridges, the bulk of the Nomad might be nice. Also, it's a modest mod for a new guy like you if you only change the screen and battery.

We can give better advice if you tell us what kind of games you like to play (6-button or 3-button type, or both), what your use will be and what you want this mod to be for you (a learning experience, something to sell, or just dicking around), and your financial situation with this idea.

DJ Wrath

Post by DJ Wrath » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Well I can get the used nomad off amazon. I found one where it is about 112 dollars and comes with battery pack and original case. I did find a pretty good screen mod guide that I could do. I mostly like arcade type games like sonic, street fighter, golden axe, gouls n ghosts which all I own the original cartrages and boxes. I will be doing this mod in the summer sometime. For now I am playing them on my retron 3 that I got for christmas till I can afford the nomad.

maxd

Post by maxd » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Do not pay more than $80 for a Nomad if you can help it. $112 is way too much money.