N64 stopped working - need help

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Aspect Eleven
N64 stopped working - need help

Post by Aspect Eleven » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi, all! I’m working on a N64 and it quit on me. It was working before I took it apart. All I did was extend the A/V and power plugs, plus remove the power switch and reset button. The power switch is now an always on. I’ve tried the troubleshooting methods mentioned here around the forum, the 7805 reg is getting power and putting out 5v, and the 3.3 line is alright, too, so far as I can tell, but still can’t get the 64 to output any video or audio.

Right now, my main concern is to get video; if I can do that, then there is hope ;)

I checked to see if there was power to the video, which there wasn’t. Of course that makes sense, because no video shows up on the tv. (I am using the n64 ac adapter as power source, btw). So, I followed the wiring back to the hole marked in light blue. This leads to the cap (the one side marked with light purple). I checked to see if the cap has power; it does. Some 500mV (or whatever the correct term is, idk). From what I found with another n64, though, it should be about 2.4 volts, not .5 volts. I am not sure why it wouldn’t be at the correct voltage. Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem? Could it be that the chip is ruined? (lower right corner of the picture you can see the edge of it, with the #32)

Anyhow, any info would be exceedingly helpful, this thing is making me pull out my hair...

-ae

tsukasa

Re: N64 stopped working - need help

Post by tsukasa » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 pm

If you have access to a scope, check all the pins on the outboard side of the chip (away from the rcp).
If you're not getting any signal, you probably fried your dac. :(

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:07 am

Very stupid thing I did when I was testing my first N64p was to forget to put the jumper pack in.. seriously took me like 10 minutes to figure that out, make sure yours is in! :D

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:23 pm

tsukasa wrote:If you have access to a scope, check all the pins on the outboard side of the chip (away from the rcp).
If you're not getting any signal, you probably fried your dac. :(
I honestly don't even know what you are talking about :-P The best thing I got is a multimeter. I don't know what an rcp or dac are ;) I'm just learning this stuff :) Thanks, though!

lucidPerspective wrote:Very stupid thing I did when I was testing my first N64p was to forget to put the jumper pack in.. seriously took me like 10 minutes to figure that out, make sure yours is in! :D
Yes, the jumper is in :) And i checked to make sure it was working, too, which it is. Also tried with a different game, but nothin'. I'd agree that it is prolly fried...there goes $20....

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:33 am

Did you put the cart in backwards? I almost did that first time.
Also, remember that on the jumper pack, the side with all the little traces points towards the cart slot.

A scope lets you look at changing voltages over time, the RCP is the big chip in the middle of the board, and the DAC is to the right of it.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 am

apparently if you've fried it, the chips (big black things lol) heat up really hot after 12 seconds of it being on, i can't confirm that as I've never fried one (I'm WAY too carefull) but try it out, if they don't heat up enormously you might still be able to fix it

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 am

what do you mean "power to the video"? What signal are you probing?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Bush

Post by Bush » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Lucid is referring to the RCP test. Turn the n64 on without a game, and feel the middle chip. If it gets burning hot within about 10 secs, its fried.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 pm

I can't tell, but in the picture it looks like the ext. connector is removed. (the port below the cart slot) If you have removed it you will need to relocate the cart slot. That is, if you have removed the ext. connector.