First Portable, which just happens to be an N64.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

icarus
First Portable, which just happens to be an N64.

Post by icarus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:53 pm

So instead of being lazy and just linking to modretro, I'm going to actually post my worklog here as well. You guys are lucky too.. you won't have to deal with my noob questions. :wink:

First up is my battery compartment. I wanted to be able to remove my battery, so I can bring 2-3 6000mAh batteries with me for maximum playing time. :P The battery is held in place very well. Doesn't wiggle or anything.

Next is my PSone screen, or at least the recased Madcatz version of it. It was a pain to get out of the case. Most of the plugs and screws had glue on them. It works though.

Lastly, I have 2 headphone jacks and a push button that I salvaged from my screen. I'm hoping to implement them into my portable. There is evidence of the superglue that Madcatz used on this..

I'm not very good at worklogs, so I'll try to do the best I can. Pics might not be the best, but I feel that they get the point across. It's my first worklog, and my first portable, so if I'm doing something wrong..feel free to point it out. I know what I am doing, but everyone makes mistakes.

More pics to follow in the coming days!

icarus

Re: First Portable, which just happens to be an N64.

Post by icarus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Guess nobody likes my portable so far. :P

But an update.

My system.

Controller

I'm a noob. While trying to cut the traces carefully, I messed up and broke it where I didn't want to. I'm a noob. :facepalm: So I'm probably not going to finish this for the contest, as I don't have another controller.

BENFTW

Post by BENFTW » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:52 pm

Buy another controller off ebay. And don't worry i'll keep up with your project. I'm soon to start work on a N64 laptop, and until then I am taking in as much about the subject as I can.

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm

You could also try to solder to the traces..... :roll:

BENFTW

Post by BENFTW » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 pm

argelfraster wrote:You could also try to solder to the traces..... :roll:
that looks pretty hard to fix, but I am not experienced so I guess I could be wrong

icarus

Post by icarus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:00 pm

BENFTW wrote:
argelfraster wrote:You could also try to solder to the traces..... :roll:
that looks pretty hard to fix, but I am not experienced so I guess I could be wrong
It's not hard for someone who is actually capable of using a soldering iron, but for me it's a different story. I'll work it out somehow.

I don't really have a big update yet. I took off the controller ports and the video port, and am going to try to wire it up later this week. Hopefully all goes well.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 am

that cartridge slot is... so....SHINY!