Hard Drive

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Link89
Hard Drive

Post by Link89 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:58 pm

Is it possible to install a hard drive in the dreamcast to save games on and stuff, like the xbox?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:41 pm

I've heard of someone that was trying to/talking about connecting USB things like a HDD to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast should have enough in common with a PC hardware. As far as suggestions go, look on the web for the people that are porting linux/bsd to the Dreamcast, and for connecting the HDD there are two ways I can see you working on 1) is the connection the GD-rom uses, 2) the IDE interface the modem uses.

I hope this helps and good luck if you choose to take on this project.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:51 pm

actualy you can put one on there but its there for booting not saving there is some guy working on that, editing the DC bios so you can save to it like you save to a VMU. but you can put netbsd and a perelle port serial vga lan 56k, if some one stole your dc modem. and tons of stuff.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:07 pm

Well I went around and looked on netbsd.org (under the platform Dreamcast). They have had talk about things like that and one (or a few) person has said the modem is connected to a suse interface.

I'd love to be of more help but as I when around much of the pages and info is gone, you may have to go about it the hard way on something like this.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

someone128

Post by someone128 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:23 am

you could try
(1) try and hook up a hard drive to the vmu port (i dont exactly know how)
(2) see how a hard drive is connected to an xbox. its probably a diffrent cable than 40pin IDE

someone128 :wink:

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:49 pm

2. I think it does, actually (but I don't have one so I'm not 100% sure)

BTW, are you someone just using a different username? Or are you a completely different person?
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.