overclocking

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

NESBest
over clocking my genesis 2

Post by NESBest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:21 pm

if it doesnt speed up the whole game and only smoothes out lag im really interested in doing it, i was considering portabalizing it but it's pretty big as im sure you know, could you tell me the basis of what to do tho? thnx

Skyone

Re: over clocking my genesis 2

Post by Skyone » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:17 am

NESBest wrote:if it doesnt speed up the whole game and only smoothes out lag im really interested in doing it, i was considering portabalizing it but it's pretty big as im sure you know, could you tell me the basis of what to do tho? thnx
The Genesis (v1, 2 and 3) run on ~7.5 Mhz. This is the "clock speed."

On the Genesis 2, the processor has a tolerance for clock speed. you can kick the stock 7.5 MHz up to 10-12 MHz. With the Genesis 1, I have overclocked it to 21 MHz, until it farted out.

First you need to purchase a few oscillators off of digikey, jameco, mouse etc. These oscillators need to be 10, 11, and 12 MHz. You should also get 9 MHz and 13 MHz oscillators. These need to be full-sized oscillators.

Full-Size is the one on the right.

Basically, you lift up a pin on the CPU (hardest part, can destroy the system,) then you solder the oscillator to that pin. That pin delivers 9-13 MHz (your choice) to the processor. If the video screws up, or sound... or anything else screws up, lower the clock speed by 1 MHz until you find a working clock speed.

Be careful with lifting up the cpu pin... If you rip it off (very easy to do,) then you're screwed. You sure you don't want me to do it for you?

NESBest

Post by NESBest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:15 am

i'm sure, i aint into paying people to do mods for me. is there ways to overclock without using oscillators because i remember reading about overclocking and it was jsut a matter of lifting a pin and connecting it to a cartridge pin, i dont know if it was for sega or something else

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:50 pm

That pin delivers 13.4 MHz as a clock speed. Which is far too much for the Genesis 2. That would only work with the Genny 1.