N64 power schematic - Troubleshoot

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Moose Jr.
N64 power schematic - Troubleshoot

Post by Moose Jr. » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:54 pm

Hey all, I need some help. I've drawn up a little schematic but I don't have enough experience to recognize any mistakes I might have made. Hopefully ya'll can tell me if I've done this correctly or not.

There's four scenarios I can think of that need to be checked. In all of this assume the voltages and resistance levels are correct. Also, the think of the DC Input symbol as a switch that closes the circuit only when it has power.

Switch in 1st position - DC Input has NO power
Switch in 1st position - DC Input HAS power
Switch in 2nd position - DC Input has NO power
Switch in 2nd position - DC Input HAS power

The schematic should work like this:

When the DPDT switch is in the first position, the system draws from battery. If the DC input has power at this point, it will pass through the resistor and trickle charge the batteries.

When the switch is in the second position, the system will draw from the DC Input and trickle charge the batteries. If the DC Input has no power, nothing will happen.

Tell me what you find. Thanks!
If the plural of goose is geese...
My Portable N64 Project - http://home.earthlink.net/~moose_jr

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:48 pm

It looks good, but you have to make sure the resistor level is just right. Also, make sure your batteries can except a straight dc current for trickle charge. Lot's of batteries need special charging circuitry even when they are being trickle charged.
If you screw up any one of those 2 things you'll have a bad problem on your hands.

stereth

Post by stereth » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:33 pm

DC+ to batteries+, DC- to batteries-. Don't think too hard about current arrows. Think of it this way: say you have a 12V lead-acid battery, dead at 8V or so. By applying a 15V charging voltage, you're trying to bring the battery voltage up to 15V.

Instead of a resistor, you can use a small power supply. If you want to charge with 100mA, get a 100mA AC adaptor. And make sure you have the right charging voltage.