Not sure if this goes in the Atari section

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
Not sure if this goes in the Atari section

Post by ValiantVenality » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:33 pm

Is there any possible way to put more games on the atari 10 in 1? There are a few more game I want to play but they are not on it. I hope there is a way........

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:42 pm

no way at all

Wayne Venomous

Post by Wayne Venomous » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:52 pm

Unfortunatly not.

I've often wondered if the Atari to NES on a chip emulator that it uses could be reprogrammed but I can't find any info on what it uses.

Atari Flashback 2.0 on the other hand..... oh yes!
I've often found if people spend less time worrying about what someone the other side of the world has posted on an internet forum and more time getting laid, they'll be a lot less tense.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:20 pm

You can actually add a cartridge slot to that. But the 10 in one you cant. There has to be a way to add a slot/add more games. There just has to be a way.

MajorLag

Post by MajorLag » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:40 pm

There is no emulator on the 10in1s. None. Those games are simulated versions. They are re-written for the NOAC.

In theory you could add more games to the 10in1, but they'd have to be NES/Famicom games (and it would still require far more work than it is worth).
Warrenties were meant to be voided

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:46 pm

You can't add either a cart slot or more games to the 10-in-1. There just isn't a feasable way.

A cart slot would require translation curcuitry to translate the code into something the NOAC-like thing will understand (probably some obscure mapper), which would require you build or buy an EPROM burner... tons of stuff

More games would require an EPROM burner, and hardware on the 10-in-1 board end to translate the rom code into something the 10-in-1 processor will understand (I'm reluctant to call it a NOAC because as far as I know it's unconfirmed if it truly can emulate NES hardware. I think it may be a proprietary processor...)

For playing Atari games, either hack down a 4 switch or buy a Flashback 2 and add a cart slot to it. That way is much cheaper than going through a process that would make Kevin Horton cringe.

For NES games, save yourself a lot of money and time; either use a real NES motherboard or buy a real NOAC like a Super Joy III.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:53 pm

The only reason I wanted to make a cartridge slot and actually use the atari 10 in 1 is because its so small. Fine ill tell you what im making..............Ha! JK! I guess ill just have to deal without any more games for now. Ill give you a hint though. Its going to be really portable. Hey everybody! Go to atari 2600 section and look at my post! Please!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:58 pm

psst, FYI, the Flashback 2 is only $30 and has 40 games built in. On top of that you can add a cart slot. Further it's not as compact as the 10 in 1 but it's slim. So if you were to use say a PSone screen you could put the Flashback behind the screen and it wouldn't increase the size of the portable by width or length, just depth by maybe an inch.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:15 pm

How small can you get a flashback 2? Because if you cant get it to small it wont be the smallest atari yet. OOPS I said to much.

Wayne Venomous

Post by Wayne Venomous » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:01 am

Hmm.... trouble is, the Flashback 2.0 uses tiny surface-mount components as it is. Only way I could see of shrinking it down any more would be to shave off all the unused PCB area around the board and maybe cut the board in half (where the very end of the cartridge mod area on the right is), add traces in and stack the PCB halves one on top of the other.

Personally I'd just use it "as is" but I'm lazy :wink:
I've often found if people spend less time worrying about what someone the other side of the world has posted on an internet forum and more time getting laid, they'll be a lot less tense.

x24

Post by x24 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:10 pm

would the flashback 2 fit inside a Lynx case? Ive always wondered that since I got a dead one..

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:08 pm

bicostp wrote:A cart slot would require translation curcuitry to translate the code into something the NOAC-like thing will understand (probably some obscure mapper), which would require you build or buy an EPROM burner... tons of stuff
I don't think you understand what NES mappers do. They don't give the NES emulation functionality or any new features per se, they're just bank switchers. They move memory around because the NES couldn't address more than 32KByte PRG and 8KByte CHR memory on its own. (Of course, this part of the conversation is more relevant to the NES forum...) Admittedly, some mappers did "add" features that the NES couldn't do on its own, but you'd basically be talking about making the Atari equivalent of the Super 8, which had an NOAC in it and just passed through power, controller and video signals from the main system to pretend to use it for something worthwhile.

It's really not possible at all to do on-the-fly Atari translation to other modern consoles. The Atari 2600 does some VERY wacky stuff, stuff that generally has not been done since (as dedicated hardware is much better for doing a lot of the things Atari tried to do in the CPU).

In short, everyone's right. Those 10-in-1 Ataris are pieces of crap.