NOAC controller problem???

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

juscrzn
NOAC controller problem???

Post by juscrzn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi,

Well....I have a Super Joy and I was going to use the glop top controller...glop??? for the control board...I thought I screwed it up, so I took a Nintendo controller cut off the plug stripped the wire's and hooked it up the the Super Joy and Viola!...it worked...Now the plot thickend...to save space in the case I used the IC from the controller like I did with thw glop top controller...glop???...but now the IC is doing the same thing the glop top controller was doing.

I hook up the Clock, Latch, and Data...and the screen menu just scrolls and scrolls...with or without the power and ground hooked up...so my question is am I grounding it wrong...I know its somthing I must have done because the Nintendo controller will work fine.

Any help would be great...Thanks

G-force

Post by G-force » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:25 pm

I tried that with the IC too. Didn't work at all for me, did squat. I think it has something to do with the black traces on the NES controller board. I have no idea what they do, but they must be needed. (I could have figured it out, but I just used the much smaller Player 2 controller glop top before I even bothered)

juscrzn

Post by juscrzn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:37 pm

I kinda figured...but the glop top off the Super Joy did the same thing.

I if I understood ben's book right the grey things on the control board are a cheesy type of resistor.

Thanks

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:40 pm

you need some kinda resistance on each of the leads coming from the ic going to each button im not sure how much though :?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

akadewboy

Post by akadewboy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 pm

Ben used the orginal NES controler IC in his Micro NESp. As you can see from this pic he had to have a bunch of resistors:

ImageImage Fry it first, ask questions later.
(what usually happens to me)

Dr.Weasel

Post by Dr.Weasel » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:32 am

yeah its a resistor... ben says its like 35ish in the book but the 47\48 ohms from radioshack will work. They are 99 cents a pack.
-Hayden

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:10 am

i thought it said 47k ohms in the book?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

minkster

Post by minkster » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:26 am

In the book, I believe it said 47, but if you can't find them, then 48's work fine.
Minktendo-Dead
Next portable: who knows ;)

juscrzn

Post by juscrzn » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Thanks Everybody for the suggestions,
I know about the resistors...I saw a project on LadyAda's site and thought the use of the glop top controller was space saving...I just can't figure out the main menu scrolling with the glop top also...I also hooked up another whole control board from and extra NOAC and a original Nintendo controller and it works fine also.

So back to the drawing board.......

Thanks again...