Atari Portable

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

HemmitsHacknMod
Atari Portable

Post by HemmitsHacknMod » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 pm

I am putting this here, as even though it is a console from 2005 it is based around the Atari 2600.

Basically I want to build a Atari Portable for my first ever portable. Now in my country (New Zealand) we dont get a lot Atari's and its expensive to ship them in, I have come up with two options. I can get a Atari Flashback 2 from Amazon for $40 NZD, or I can get a Atari 2600 Jr. for $30 NZD. Which one do you think is the best to make a portable from? If I got the Flashback 2 I would cartridge mod it. So what I am essentially asking is, which one do you think is a) best to start modding with and b) best value for money.

Thanks,

Will

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Atari Portable

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:21 pm

When in doubt, go for original hardware! It may take a little more work to get it down to size, but the fact that it already has a cart connector attached makes things much nicer in the long run :) (go for the Jr)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

wallydawg

Re: Atari Portable

Post by wallydawg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 am

You cannot 4x4 trim the Jr. like you can with the "regular" 2600 so you could probably get the Flashback smaller than you could the Jr. FWIW. Depending on what kind of portable you want to make, size of the screen, etc it might not matter anyway. Good arguments for using either really, so either is not a bad choice. There is a Jr on Trademe.co.nz so that may sway your final decision if it is easier to get something from there than the Amazon.