NES Modification: Using original Power/Reset switches

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

RedSeven4
PSN Username:Biohaz1
360 GamerTag:Biohaze1
Steam ID:RedSeven4
NES Modification: Using original Power/Reset switches

Post by RedSeven4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm currently building a portable NES and wanted to use the original Power and Reset switches. The reset works fine but the power switch doesn't. I'm guessing it has to do with the two pins I'm not using for where the RF Box used to be.

Is there something I have to do in order to use the original power and reset buttons? Thanks in advance.

threedog

Re: NES Modification: Using original Power/Reset switches

Post by threedog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:19 pm

RedSeven4 wrote:I'm currently building a portable NES and wanted to use the original Power and Reset switches. The reset works fine but the power switch doesn't. I'm guessing it has to do with the two pins I'm not using for where the RF Box used to be.

Is there something I have to do in order to use the original power and reset buttons? Thanks in advance.

Since you said your reset button was still functioning, I'm going to assume that your power/reset buttons are still installed on their little chunk of PCB. If that is the case, then this couldn't be easier. Look at the 5 wires coming off of the little board your power/reset buttons are on. There's a white one, a red one, a brown one, a yellow one, and an orange one. They're numbered, too. 5,2,1,4,3 respectively. So what you want to do is take your brown wire and red wire, and cut them off where they go into the blue plug that plugs into the motherboard. Solder the brown wire to the spot you currently have your positive wire going to (where the RF box used to be.) Then connect the red wire to the positive terminal of whatever you are using for a power source (battery, or whatever.) If you did everything right, then your original power switch should work just like it used to, and your reset button should still be working also.

threedog

Re: NES Modification: Using original Power/Reset switches

Post by threedog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:55 am

Did that work out for you? If so, I'm going to do more or less the same thing in one of my current projects.