nes problem HELP

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

aadz93
360 GamerTag:aadz93
nes problem HELP

Post by aadz93 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:08 am

hello I've had my nes for a good while and what happened was the RF modulator/ac-dc converter shorted out because a broken rca pin in the av slot got stuck ( this happened i think between November - early February. so i decided to use the nesp video amp since it was cheap and simple to build (only needed a 2n4401, 220 ohm ,and 33 ohm resistor iirc) and got the parts De-soldered the old RF modulator (which was the hardest thing) then wired everything on the breadboard and it worked (note: yes i was using 5V @ 2Amps) but had no solder or flux to fully complete it so i put it away. then i lost the parts to the video amp (transistor leg broke lost all my resistors) so i just set it aside to fix later. so early this week at a goodwill store (secondhand/thrift store if you didn't know) i was in luck because there was this big box full of radio-shack electrical components (they were old by the look of the packaging and logo style) it had the transistors in a 15-pack and the resistors i needed plus a couple of 7805 regulators and other stuff all for $1.75 (heh heh beat those prices radio-shack!) anyways today i got it put together on a piece of bread board i custom cut (still didn't have solder but wanted to put it together and yes i am being ghetto i know) so i got it together plugged the composite into my capture card (computer was the nearest viewing device) turned it on again expecting the life force screen but only got a solid red screen.

It can't be the 72-nes connector because i replaced that already i cleaned all my cartridges (used a metal polish since it's abrasive) and tested all of them and still nothing
so is it a connection problem, do I need to disable the 10NES, or is my nes dead :(

P.S: I never touched it after the first time I built the amp and plus it worked the last time also

P.P.S: I can take pictures if you need to see them
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: nes problem HELP

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:21 pm

A red screen usually means something along the lines the cart connector isn't connecting. You said you cleaned it, so the connector should be fine...Is the cart connector itself still firmly attached to the NES Mobo?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

aadz93

Post by aadz93 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 am

Metallica Man X wrote:A red screen usually means something along the lines the cart connector isn't connecting. You said you cleaned it, so the connector should be fine...Is the cart connector itself still firmly attached to the NES Mobo?
Yeah its firm it takes some force to get it off i even tried the old connector but still red screen

p.s: should i replace it again because the replacement in the nes is about 1-2 years old

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Try using metal cleaner where the connector connects to the NES.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

aadz93

Post by aadz93 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:45 pm

ProgMetalMan wrote:Try using metal cleaner where the connector connects to the NES.
one of the first things i did