3rd Party NES USB controllers...

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes
3rd Party NES USB controllers...

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Can anyone confirm what the internals look like in the 3rd party NES USB controllers? They're probably all from the same manufacturer (despite different branding), but I want to make sure that the circuit board is relatively 2D and the controller can be disassembled. I plan on doing a case mod to the controller and so I want to make sure it's what I need before I buy it. If anyone has pics of the guts of the NES USB controller, that would be great.

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Re: 3rd Party NES USB controllers...

Post by qwertymodo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Most of the ones I've seen use the original controller's PCB, then wire a converter circuit into the controller's output pads and the USB cable comes out from there, but it's probably different for each one. If you want to know about a specific one, you'll have to provide more details.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 pm

qwertymodo wrote:Most of the ones I've seen use the original controller's PCB, then wire a converter circuit into the controller's output pads and the USB cable comes out from there, but it's probably different for each one. If you want to know about a specific one, you'll have to provide more details.
I highly doubt there is more than one company making these as it's a fairly specialty item. Furthermore, they all seem to be sold by the same companies that re-brand a bunch of other imported clone hardware (Hyperkin, Retrolink, Tomee, etc.)

Since people seem to favor Retrolink (in spite of it probably being the exact same controller everyone else sells), I'll use them for the sake of discussion: http://www.amazon.com/RetroLink-NES-Cla ... 295&sr=8-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Ah, right... I was thinking of ones like http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=32. I'm not sure what the knockoffs look like on the inside. I don't even know if they use squishies or tact switches. In any case, they probably use gloptop IC's, if that's what you're wondering.