Projekt NES-X90

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Projekt NES-X90

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Been plotting this one for a while now.

During the portable NES comission projekt, I really took notice to just how much wasted space there was on the NES motherboard. So, I got to thinking...just how small could this thing get?

Well, Xmas came and passed, and I got me both a new soldering iron (badly needed lol), and I also got a rockin' desoldering iron (honestly, I have no idea how I've managed to live so long without one!). With those new tools in hand, I commenced to remove all the important parts from the NES motherboard...

Sure is empty, isn't it?

I left a few parts on since those tended to break apart when I pulled them out. But I know they can be replaced easily since according to information on my schematics, they were all very basic parts that I can get tons of for cheap anyway haha.

Once it was all removed, I set all the biggest parts into some perf-board action and did some figuring.

Obviously, this won't the final position for these parts. But overall, my suspicions were correct in just how small I could get the motherboard.

How small is that, you ask?

Small enough to easily fit within one of these :twisted: :
Spoiler:
Because of this, for the case, I'm actually gonna take the lazy route for this one and just use an original Game Boy shell...Though, it's a good way to create some additional surprise value 8)

Of course, knowing how things tend to go for me, it'll wind up being too thick for the thing anyway :wtf:

This will probably be my final personal NES-related projekt...between the mark3 and this machine, I don't think I need to make any more attempts lol.

I highly doubt I'll be anywhere near done with this by the time MGC comes around (especially since I'm starting a new job Monday...), but I hope to have something to at least demonstrate it by then.

Stay tuned!
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

TSX420J

Re: Projekt NES-X90

Post by TSX420J » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Looks good. Tiny as hell! The desoldering is great. I need one of those. Im looking into getting a better setup soon too. PM me brand and info on the one you have please. Thanks.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:17 pm

*shakes with excitement*
Serious n00bish question: what exactly are the various caps on that board for anyway? Don't all the chips work on 5v?

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Oh dang..totally forgot bout this projekt XD

I'll have to get back on this thing sometime soon lol.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato