Electro Modder's NOAC (Super Joy 3) Portable

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Electro Modder
Electro Modder's NOAC (Super Joy 3) Portable

Post by Electro Modder » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I have also posted a worklog on the madebybacteria forums and have decided to post a worklog here too. Basically about a week ago, since I had all the parts lying around and I have wanted to build this for a long time... I began to build my first NES PORTABLE! :D It will actually use a Super Joy 3 and be a NOAC Portable because I want to try to make a portable small enough to fit into my pocket. It will have the following features:

- Super joy 3 motherboard
- A 72 pin NES cartridge slot
- One BP-915 Li-Ion Battery (hopefully internal if it will fit...)
- Original NES A and B buttons, a GameCube D-Pad and another NOAC's select and start buttons
- A 3.5" Screen and separate audio amp
- I decided to use the original Super Joy IC rather than a 4021 Shift Register for the controller, because although I have TWENTY SOMETHING of them!.. I would still have to connect pull-down resistors to every button to prevent switch bounce... with the Super Joy IC, all that is built in so I save a LOT of room!
- I am trying to use the plastic enclosure an ipod touch comes in for the case. It's be a tight squeeze but it MIGHT fit, we'll see! :wink:

I made this video about a week ago before I broke my Super Joy... oops... anyway, it's just to show all the electronics working:

Since then, I have made and painted the front half of the case and have gotten all the buttons (except the D-Pad) and the screen mounted in place. Next, I need to connect my new Super Joy once it arrives and re-locate the cartridge slot. This is the case so far:

Muniosi

Re: Electro Modder's NOAC (Super Joy 3) Portable

Post by Muniosi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Boy, good luck with this one. This'll be a handsome thing once it's done.