A couple of questions in regards to building a portable NES

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

tomster785
Steam ID:tomster785
A couple of questions in regards to building a portable NES

Post by tomster785 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:45 pm

First off, hi my names Tom, I'm new here :)

Right now that's out of the way, I'll describe what it is I want to build. I want to take a top loader NES (because it's smaller and I think it's not region locked either (although I don't know if that matter for the project)) and make it portable, similar to most of the projects around here. However here's the twist. I want to put a hard-drive in it as well that will hold the complete game library of the NES on it, with a custom made file-browser ROM I will program myself, complete with title screen images and information about the game, such as genres and date and the ability to filter genres and sort by date and so on. Now one of the main issues I realise will come about is, the fact that some games used MMC's to further boost the NES's capabilities. So I would have to find these MMC's and put them on the circuit board too. Is this possible? There is also the issue of regions. If the game is NTSC and I play it on PAL hardware, what will happen? I know I said the top-loader is region free, but I'm not sure. So if someone could clarify that would be great.

tl;dr?
Is the Top-Loader NES region free?
Would it be possible to build the MMC's that some cartridges had in them into the NES hardware?

Also I don't know very much about this sort of stuff, so forgive me if I what I'm saying is in any way stupid. This is all guess work for what I would need to do. I've never taken anything apart or anything like that. However I feel this is something I would be able to put my hand too. It's also something I really want to do and if it all goes well, I will do similar projects with the SNES, N64 and so on.

Allen

Re: A couple of questions in regards to building a portable NES

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 pm

A NES-101 Top-Loader is region free however cutting a NES-101 up is not a good idea. Using a cheap NES clone would be better and they are region free too.