NES Controller Project...

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Tuesday
NES Controller Project...

Post by Tuesday » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:10 pm

I'll start off apologizing because I'm very new to any sort of console work, essentially what I'm looking to do is essentially create a plug-n-play game from a NES controller. Now I see the specs for what's inside the controller and how they're wired together, I had a couple of questions regarding it.

1.) Is there anywhere that I could find some internal specs of plug-n-play games to see how they're hard wired?
2.) I'm planning on using a C++ EXE for the actual game put into the controller, so I'm wondering what everyone here would suggest for the chip used inside the controller to hold the EXE?
3.) Are there any examples of work with a NES controller being turned into a plug-n-play game or turned into anything similar that I might be able to read and look at?

Thanks everyone for any assistance I can get.

Jcmaster

Re: NES Controller Project...

Post by Jcmaster » Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Well i dont quite understand what you are trying to do, but i think that is more easy to just put a numpad, a usb pendrive and a usb hub inside the controller wire everything up an you have a plug and play controller with all the roms, that is what i did and i love my controller i put a 16gb kingston pendrive in it an a cheap numpad and hub, i solder everything to a female usb port because i donl like the wires to be hanging from the controller and it works great.

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Re: NES Controller Project...

Post by qwertymodo » Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 am

By plug-and-play, are you meaning those games that are entirely built into a controller and plug directly in to a TV and play or do you mean playing on a computer? If you mean the TV games, then this is no simple task, and .exe's will not run. A .exe file is a Windows executable and will only run on a Windows PC, not an embedded system like a plug-and-play game. I'm going to assume by your question that you don't know how to program on a microcontroller, so this is likely going to be much more difficult than you anticipate. If, however, you mean that you want to build a USB controller to play games on the PC, you can check out raphnet.net for a converter chip. I did an SNES controller build with his chip and documented it here http://qwertymodo.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... ernal.html. You can use the exact same chip for NES controllers, just follow the user manual for hooking up the wires and bridging the correct jumper.