Project, modernize a PAL Atari 2600

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Linkert

Post by Linkert » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello once again, long time no modding!

I want to modernize My Atari 2600 4-switcher, PAL. I'm gonna start at the right end this time, the electronics.

The plan is to build a nice looking, smaller, battery driven, chargeable, coffee table placed, front loaded, heavier, white, shiny, button based - Atari 2600.
Also with custom matching controllers, no joystick, responsive, clicky buttons, L33T.

And I might just try to create magnetic controller ports/connections, like the power supply for MacBooks. Nice modern touch, should not be that dificult to manage.

The reasons for making this project are: my love for the 2600, and also my plans to apply for a industrial design school here in Sweden :)

Front: http://cl.ly/410D2q442O3V1k3c202B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back: http://cl.ly/1Z0G302z073O1n1p0I2j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above links are pictures of the board I'm working with.

Now, for build process/steps in order.

§ Chop up board;
Sharp blade/knife, just inside metal outline, keep the bottom part of the metal outlining.
Correct?

§ Composite;
What are your opinions on this, should I go with the Ben Heck hack or something else?

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Found this linked above thread and it worries me, the guide is kinda messy. It should be just like the NTSC version right? Anyone figured out what troubles "houseguest" had? I think it sounds like a slight adjustment on the turning part of the color delay potentiometer?

Any sort of clarification on this step would be much appreciated! (tired as of writing, can't read properly atm haha)

§ Battery powered;
Will my stationary Atari 2600 work on a regular LCD TV if it's powered by a 5v battery pack? I'm asking as it's originally driven by 9V DC 500mA power supply, not 5v.
I also ask my self, why battery if it's stationary? Well, my first initial thought was the possibility to get rid of one more power cable. The fewer cables the better right? But I'm having doubts, would it be easier to just integrate the stationary power which is used by default? I guess that would be a better idea/option. Now how do I do that? All the guides are aimed at portables, 5v battery portables.

§Buttons;
Have I got this right? When adding e.g. a simple reset button, I solder like so:
"N" (picture below) <-w-i-r-e-> Button of choice <-w-i-r-e-> "Master ground"

Lettered PAL back: http://cl.ly/3y2D1b2E2B121h3t3o1s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those are the essential parts I need help with, thanks thanks!

Linkert

Re: Project, modernize a PAL Atari 2600

Post by Linkert » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:26 pm

I've been thinking, and I will go with the assembled Longhorn engineer kit for 40$ (+6$ shipping to Sweden). Seems to be the best and most simple way to get this ship sailing.

Ok ok! For the power, I'll use the standard 9V 500mA adapter.

Could someone confirm this:
Power input -> Switch -> 7805 regulator, 5V -> Board

(not much activate here these days huh?)

Linkert

Post by Linkert » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Tools & bits:

Death:

Done:

:D

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:31 am

Looking good! Unfortunately, my mod is out of stock. There are some people selling my mod on ebay however.

Good luck with your portable!
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Linkert

Post by Linkert » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 am

You could not be so mercyful to restock a few units? I would rather like to buy it from the source ;)