Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Yep, I'm doing a commission projekt! 8)

And now we begin!

First thing on the list was to strip down a monster toaster NES!

Next on the list of things....Removing that pesky RF box! This took a LOT longer than it really should have lol. Darn thing must have had at least 5000 lbs of solder on the bottom :lol:

Last thing of this post...I tried to remove that darn expansion slot to thin the board up some more, but that failed....so Instead I wound up just shaving the crap out of it until it was bout the same height as every other component on the board.

Next time, I'll continue cutting the board down...and will probably acquire a new cart connector for this beasty from somewhere...
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Drakon

Re: Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Post by Drakon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 am

Looks okay so far. Just so you know it's very easy to desolder the expansion port using the cheapo desoldering iron from radio shack. Proper desoldering does take some practice (I did it wrong for a while before getting the right idea). Now I can easily desolder anything that's through-hole with just the iron and a little patience.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 pm

To de-solder correctly,

YOU.
NEED.
FLUX!

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Removing the NES expansion slot is a female of the dog species. I de-soldered every pin completely and found it still didn't move. I got a big wire cutter and tore off the outer steel then cut the plastic into several pieces. You just have to be careful when doing this not to damage the board or surrounding components. I got mine off clean, but tore a PCB trace in the process. Oh well, it's not like it matters, it just connects to the unused cart slot pins.
I wouldn't leave any part of the expansion slot behind one you start, it could short out some important pins.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah, I don't have a desoldering iron lol. I went with the easy route.

Rest assured, there's no way any of those pins will short.

And now a quick update!

After some digging, I found one of my smoked NOACs....I then proceeded to remove the cart slot from it since it'll work better with functional hardware anyway :P

I did have a small mishap..I broke one of the tabs off of the side. That's of little concern tho, as enough JB weld/gorilla glue will seal it up good as new (I know this for a fact since this isn't the first tab I've broken off a cart slot lol).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm

wait you don't have a desoldering iron? I couldn't live without mine. Also how did you get the slot out of the pcb without a desoldering iron?

Also how'd you get the rf box off? Solder braid? I managed to get my rf box fairly easy with just a desoldering iron you just need to be patient enough for all that solder to heat up to the melting point before you suck it away.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 am

I have a solder sucker tube thingy, and a crappy soldering iron haha. Maybe someday I'll actually invest in a good one, but until then, I'm fine with doing things the hard way haha.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:05 am

Quick update!

Still waiting on a few parts to arrive..hence the slow progress..but I did get my new transistors and thingies...

With the new transistor, I added a new video amp...I decided to attach it straight to the board to minimize space. Believe it or not, it's actually much flatter than this picture makes it appear to be.

I also removed the two resistors for the faux stereo mod...Just gotta find some small pots to adjust it with....

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Ok, been forgetting to update...and also forgetting to take pictures :/

BUT, I have something to show now! :)

Attached the pots for the faux audio mod, both soldered in and JB welded to the board...

Also attached a mess of wires for the cart slot extension. Of course, it wasn't until after I had already finished the board side that I remembered that the middle stack of wires didn't need to be hooked up at all :oops:

Got the cart slot hooked up....

...Too bad I burned the board out shortly afterward :wtf:
Went to fire it up for a test and had a wire dangling where it shouldn't have...literally fired the CPU into oblivion...

Needless to say, i was infuriated and flung it...and the following day I blew it to peices with a 12 gauge :twisted:

Fortunately, I have a sizable stack of toaster NES's just lying around, so I just restarted all the crud I did before lol.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

Ok update...been a bit slow lately..life's getting in the way....

But, stuff has been getting done..

Got a strange problem now though.

So I went through all the needed crud for the board, and even got the connector hooked up as well.

Problem is, the games don't boot right! All I get is the garbled mess you'd get from having a cart that wasn't properly inserted. Problem is, that cart slot is wired up and everything is connected (checked all the leads from the cart to the board)...that connection can't get any better unless I were to solder straight to the cart itself :wtf:

I wanna thing it's just the cart connector itself....but when all the pins check out as connecting to the board...rather frustrating to say the least....

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Ok update...been a bit slow lately..life's getting in the way....

But, stuff has been getting done..

Got a strange problem now though.

So I went through all the needed crud for the board, and even got the connector hooked up as well.

Problem is, the games don't boot right! All I get is the garbled mess you'd get from having a cart that wasn't properly inserted. Problem is, that cart slot is wired up and everything is connected (checked all the leads from the cart to the board)...that connection can't get any better unless I were to solder straight to the cart itself :wtf:

I wanna thing it's just the cart connector itself....but when all the pins check out as connecting to the board...rather frustrating to say the least....
It could be the cable is to long, or there is some sort of RF interference.

Alternately, it would be a bad joint...

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Can't see the pictures since I'm on my phone but which type of Nes cart adapter are you using? I had trouble a long time ago with the regular connector, sawing it in half or whatever the book says. I'm using a Game Genie one for my 80s laptop and I've had no complaints.

Tapatalk Mobile Post Woooooooo

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:32 am

I'm using a NOAC connector. By all means it should work...I'll shorten up the leads and give that a try. Maybe they are just a little too long for it, who knows.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Did you disable the lockout chip? I didn't see that done in the pics.
Otherwise your solder connections look good. There's 10 pins in the middle that don't need to be connected, they go to the expansion slot.
I did a NES cart slot relocation using digi key part # A31721-ND and it seemed to work well. I used 22ga wire for some reason.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I do have the lockout chip disabled.

Well, after repeated tests with that board, all ending in failure, I figured I would try one more time with another board...and this one appears to be functional!

Well, so far it is anyway lol.

First thing I did was I disabled the lockout chip on this new board, and it worked fine with the awful original connector, so I have high hopes for this thing....wish me some good luck people, since I don't have good luck normally :lol: Onto the cutting and expansion and rf and all that stuff removal lol.