Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Cause Win7 costs money...and vista works just fine for me :P

So some more progress.....

First thing...small, but time munching for some reason...I removed the player 1 port, and relocated it to the opposite side of the board.

Next thing was the construction of the internal controller...as I finally got mah 47k resistors for the job...
All assembled using roughly the same method I used on both the Neutron and P-NES markIII...too bad I didn't have any 5pin headers sitting around for use...used what I had...

Got some new paints sitting around...a stack of model paints and an air-brush thingy. I'm gonna mix up some goo to make a paint that matches the bottom part. Hopefully the model paints can hold up as well as the krylon fusion does...the model paints are kind of a last hope XD.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Cause Win7 costs money...and vista works just fine for me :P

So some more progress.....

First thing...small, but time munching for some reason...I removed the player 1 port, and relocated it to the opposite side of the board.

Next thing was the construction of the internal controller...as I finally got mah 47k resistors for the job...
All assembled using roughly the same method I used on both the Neutron and P-NES markIII...too bad I didn't have any 5pin headers sitting around for use...used what I had...

Got some new paints sitting around...a stack of model paints and an air-brush thingy. I'm gonna mix up some goo to make a paint that matches the bottom part. Hopefully the model paints can hold up as well as the krylon fusion does...the model paints are kind of a last hope XD.
I used model paints and an inexpensive airbrush on my calculator. It holds up pretty well IF you put a protective clear coat over it. I think I used enamel clear coat, but look at what clearcoat is compatible with your model paints (i.e. read the label). I've had my calculator painted for about six years, and it's only barely wearing at the corners.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Ah cool. That's good to know :D
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Progress action!

After much searching, I actually managed to find a can of paint that's uber close to the original NES gray bottom color!

So after an unusually long wait for the stuff to ship, progress was finally made!

First thing is the hinge...it ruins some of the asthetics, but this book styling makes it MUCH easier to deal with batteries, and minimizes the risk of accidental damages cause by changing them.

Then the first rounds of paint got applied finally...

With the top and bottom colored properly, it was time to add the black spot! Too bad my tape didn't seem to hold on and I wound up with blotches where it leaked :wtf:

Shouldn't be too hard to touch it up though.

And with the paint all but done now, It's onto the next big thing...FINAL ASSEMBLY!! 8)

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:57 pm

That case looks absolutely sick man!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm

That is pretty darn close to the exact gray of the NES. Nice find!
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Small update as work continues...

Reattached the faux stereo wires...with a longer set of wires lol.

Then...wiring up the parallel controller hookup...

Gots a minor snag with the controller though...I could have swore that hooking it up parallel worked just fine, but it would seem that when an external controller is hooked up, neither controller works :/

I'm gonna have to find me a small switch thingy to solve this problem...

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:15 pm

ok, small update, no pics though.

I managed to solve the controller problem with a nail and a drill...and a small switch that I had to wait for it to ship and get here.

Got all the other wires hooked up and ready to go, just waiting on the JB weld to cure lol.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:26 am

very nice so far! as are all your projects! :D

can't wait to see more!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Ok, some picture-y update action!

First thing, the means of solving the controller problem...
Image + Image

=

A fairly simple solution really..I just drilled a small hole in the controller, popped a cut down nail into it, and JB welded the crap out of the mini switch lol. The switch is a normally on type, so when a controller is plugged into it, it'll cut the ground lead of the onboard controller, allowing the external to take over ;)

Next thing here is the AV/Power ports there....got them attached to a single block, and they're all pretty darn solid...

Last thing here...got the PS1 screen's speaker connections wired in parallel, making for a nice mono output. ...did this before with the PNES Mark1, and didn't have any troubles...

inching ever closer....

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Neat idea with the nail pushing the switch that disconnects the ground of the onboard controller. As long as you don't get any stray signals from the onboard controller, that's a great (and simple) solution.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:40 pm

MORE UPDATE ACTION! lol

OK so here's the sauce so far....

First thing, I got the holes cut and filed to niceness for the Power Switch and the Reset button....

Next up, got the button holes for the PS1 Screen adjustor done finally...

Now...for the jawesomness of the decal work...

Just look at that sexy 8)

Decals on the case rear (sans the hinge)...they're a little darker than I had hoped, but still readable without much strain, so that's fine I think lol.

And there it is attached to the bottom half....Gots the Controller ports JB welded into oblivion..so now I'm just waiting on that to cure. Considering how much Put on there to ensure a solid hold, it may take 2 full days to harden all the way :lol:

Completion inches ever closer.....things are getting wired in, and the JB Weld is curing....almost there...

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Whoever is buying this off you is very lucky indeed. Looks super polished man, nice work!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 pm

O.O

This is so amazing I can't find words to describe its amazingness. I am amazed.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 am

All righty then...here's some more sauce action! lol

Much chaos....darn wires....was a little tight for the screen and stuff, but nothing that'd cause any problems...

Aaaah.....there she is....looking sharp 8) Too bad it suffers from an ailment that all my creations suffer from...the dreaded poof...no matter how deep I make things, the wires within always make the case halves poof...trying to figure out a way to fix this....

Mega Man totally rocks in faux stereo :lol: (not seen are my happening headphones lol)

Other than that darndable poof problem, everything works like a charm, even my rag-tag controller switch seems to work pretty well!

So now it's 99.999999% complete...just gotta figure out a way to eliminate that darned poof problem, and all will be well....