Some help needed for NES modification

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

AnimalDoctor
Some help needed for NES modification

Post by AnimalDoctor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Ok, so I'm planning on modding a few old NES consoles. Below is a list of the modifications I have planned followed by materials I currently have. I'll post one question at a time below as I want to go slowly, work on one at a time, and make sure I get everything perfect as I am new to this. I do have Ben's book and have read through the NES portions and found and saved as many tutorials for the mods I want to perform as I can find so I'll be doing my best not to ask about questions that a quick google or search through the forums can find.

Modifications
- Ben's floppy drive 72 pin connector
- Lockout chip disabled
- Stereo sound with a knob to mix the sound
- Overclock with switch to switch back to normal speed
- R/Y/W a/v out ports
- Window in case backlit by an LED
- Internal power supply

Materials
- Adjustable wire stripper
- 25w soldering pencil
- Desoldering pencil
- Spool of rosin core solder
Last edited by AnimalDoctor on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimalDoctor

Re: Some help needed for NES modification

Post by AnimalDoctor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:19 pm

So, I plan on starting by disabling the lockout chip and making a new 72 pin connector. I currently have the 4th connector in on the lockout chip pulled away and now need to solder a ground wire to it. My first question is what type of wire should I get? I went to radioshack but they seem to have quite a variety and I'm not sure which to get, does it matter? My second question is where can I get "floppy drive cable connectors?" I googled them but the results I pull up don't really look like the ones Ben used. Are they still sold or do I need to salvage them from old computers? I know these are both probably pretty newbie questions but I am very new to this and couldn't find answers.

low_budget

Re: Some help needed for NES modification

Post by low_budget » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm working on a NES system that overcomes all of the limitations of the original design. I can give you some tips I'm learning in the process.

Ben's floppy drive 72 pin connector - Floppy drive connectors work if you have them laying around and don't mind cutting them up, but http://www.digikey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a card edge connector that should work with NES carts, part # A31721-ND.

Lockout chip disabled - I use 22ga solid wire for many projects that don't require flexibility. I prefer solid wire because you don't have to worry about strands fraying and touching things they shouldn't. I looped the wire from pin 4 to ground on the other side of the chip; there's several.

Stereo sound with a knob to mix the sound - I used this schematic: http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/nes ... eo-nes.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Make sure the capacitors have the right polarity.

Overclock with switch to switch back to normal speed - Tried this, wouldn't recommend it. An overclocked NES will have graphics and sound issues and lose compatibility with a lot of games. I couldn't get a switch to work for changing back to normal speed. Wires too long maybe?

R/Y/W a/v out ports - If you do the stereo mod, this part should be simple. Just add a couple RCA jacks. The standard composite output on the NES works well as is.

Window in case backlit by an LED - YOU CAN DO IT!

Internal power supply - I don't see the point to this, the NES can use any polarity 12-9v supply.