rekarp's 7800 video mod ala lovablechevy

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
rekarp's 7800 video mod ala lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 pm

rekarp requested that i review this board of his quite a while ago... it's about time i do that, i think.

this one's for you, rekarp!

so i bought one of rekarp's unassembled atari 7800 video mods. here is what was inside the glorious package:

the main reason i wanted to do this is that my hdtv no longer will allow me to play game systems that hook up through rf only. this is due to the fact that the tv does not allow me to go to any channel that is not giving a signal. since all channels are now digital instead of analog, i cannot pick up a channel 2, 3, or 4 (i forget which 2 it is that the 7800 uses). hmph. the closest i can get is 2.1 or 4.1. yeah, those aren't the same... so, my before shot is from an old tube tv i have that only accepts rf...

i then went back to the package. i separated the contents into a more organized pile:

i then went to work on following the markings on the board and placing all the components correctly:

it was then time to open up the atari:

i went about taking off the unneeded ic chip and resistors (pic taken before i removed the resistors):

shortly after i was able to mostly install the board:

now, here is where i started to do my own thing. you see, rekarp includes the ports for s-video, composite, and audio. i did not want to drill holes into my atari. i wanted to keep it as close to stock looking as possible. so, i got my old snes/n64/gamecube composite/s-video cord (i have a few extras). and i chopped it apart:

it took me a while of planning to figure out how i could manage keeping my 7800 looking as close to stock as possible. i couldn't figure out a connector that was slim enough to fit fine through the rf hole in the back. i finally figured out that a ps/2 connector works well. and luckily, a ps/2 extension cord actually has every pin connected. so i had to figure out how to hook up the ps/2 connector cord to the hacked composite/svideo cord. here are my notes (if you can make out my terrible writing):

i then had to go about removing the rf box so that i could place the ps/2 connector:

i then super glued the ps/2 connector to the 7800 board, allowing for the correct clearance for the cord to connect:

oddly, when testing things, i wasn't getting audio. so i wondered if completely removing the rf board had to do with that. i don't think it really did, but i did replace the board, but not the huge box:

anyway, i get it all hooked up correctly (to my hdtv seeing that the old tube tv only accepts rf), cross my fingers, turn it on, and:

sweet! it works! and looks amazing!! and somehow the sound started working (damn gremlins...)

i finish up the cord by using some heat shrink tubing. i really wish i could have found a black ps/2 extension cord, but this is the only one i could find...

i close it all up, and voila! as close to stock as an s-video modded atari 7800 can look!

and now for your viewing pleasure:
before video
after video

i am very pleased with this mod. it was a great price, and very easy to do. a nice afternoon/evening project.

now, rekarp, hurry up and finish the 5200 board! ;)

thanks for looking!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: rekarp's 7800 video mod ala lovablechevy

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:20 am

Looking good :mrgreen:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."