My modified av famicom (s-video, rgb, bassy stereo sound)

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Drakon
My modified av famicom (s-video, rgb, bassy stereo sound)

Post by Drakon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:55 am

There's many advantages to the AV famicom. The AV famicom is the only known model of the nes that doesn't have video interference when you modify it to use a rgb ppu chip. Also the av famicom is a top loader meaning that games will always work on it. The av famicom has controller ports for standard nes controllers and it's small and looks nice. Here's what I did to my av famicom:

Here's how the system looks when everything's been put back together:

As you can see, this av famicom has been modified almost as much as possible. Here's the features of it:

This av famicom outputs true rgb, s-video, and composite video from the multi av port at the back. This multi av port is the same video port as you find on a snes, my system is wired the same way as the snes so all you need to do is buy snes rgb/s-video/composite video cables to get the video signals out to your tv. Here's some comparison screenshots between the s-video on my av famicom vs the composite video from a standard non-modified nes:

That takes care of the eye candy. My av famicom also features a very nice custom audio circuit. This audio circuit increases the bass, and it also does a better job mixing in all the audio than the default circuit on the famicom/nes. This audio circuit also does psuedo stereo sound seperation. And this audio circuit fully supports famicom games that use advanced audio chips. Here's a youtube video I made showing the difference in audio before/after I applied the audio mod:

The last mod I did to the av famicom system itself was I swapped out a chip with another chip that makes the system compatible with the nintendo powerpak compact flash cartridge. Here's screenshots showing that happens to the video before and after you replace the chip:

And since the powerpak outputs extended audio found in certain games and the famicom disk system I modified my nes to famicom adapter to mix that advanced audio into the system audio circuit:

If you're looking for any more information regarding my work it's easiest to contact me through my small forum here:

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/index.php

I hope you people enjoy my work

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: My modified av famicom (s-video, rgb, bassy stereo sound)

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:48 am

Nice work! That is really kewl stuff! ...any plans to put an actual famicom disk system onto it?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Nice work! That is really kewl stuff! ...any plans to put an actual famicom disk system onto it?
Nope. The majority of people who contact me regarding my work prefer to use a powerpak because it plays fds games fairly perfectly. I dislike cheap media that breaks easily so I think that the powerpak is the best way to play fds games.

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:13 pm

*out of date video deleted*

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 pm

*bump*

here's how the system looks on a flat screen tv.

through a xrgb 3:

straight into the tv:

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am

That's beautiful, great job. I have a question though. I notice that on the upper right corner of the screenshots (it's most apparent in the one with the building) the picture seems to curve away from the edge of the screen. This happens on my television too, albeit more dramatically. It seems to have dropped when you did the RGB mod. Do you know why this happens?

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

beats me

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:20 am

lol ok.

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:45 am

I think I took those screenshots from a composite modded nes 2. I think the video from the av famicom didn't have that bending up top. It doesn't show up on my tv though only on my capture card so I didn't really care.