NES 80's Laptop

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

wallydawg
Re: NES 80's Laptop

Post by wallydawg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Huh...the blue washout of those pictures actually makes them look very artistic lol.
It's the new sepia tone hipster filter!

wallydawg

Re: NES 80's Laptop

Post by wallydawg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:02 am

Bump. Working on the bay for the screen controls today. For the buttons I am using an old AWIA remote that I got from Goodwill for 49 cents. The buttons are fairly reminiscent of the NES start and select buttons, so that should look nice. As a nod to the styles of other consoles of it's day (and to add more buttons to try and make it look like an old TV), additional Start and Select buttons from a first player controller will also be placed here, to mimic the behavior of all the switches on the front of the Atari 2600 and the Pause button on the SMS.

Cut out the rubber membrane from the remote for the Volume, Contrast, and Start/Select buttons. The RESET button is from an old Superjoy clone, and the Power button is the circle button from a third party PS1 controller, which was the closest thing I had that looks like a power icon.

Drawing out the button locations. I placed them in order that I anticipate using them, so Volume on the top above Contrast, and the extra Select/Start buttons on the bottom. A button was used for power instead of a switch to keep the look of an old tv. I might try to add in a Nintendo logo to the upper left corner, time permitting (so probably not).
ImageImage

I used the Remote as a guide for the holes, cut out the ends of each button with a drill press, and cleaned out the excess plastic with an exacto knife. The Rough cuts are shown on the left and the cleaned out parts on the right.

Completely cleaned out and sanded smooth. Some are a little off, but with the button membrane inside you can't really tell. The upper left one turned out the best.

Thankfully, the Power and Reset Buttons are circular so I just marked the center and used a reamer to make the holes.

Test fit put inside the front of the case.

The buttons will sit behind the NES grate, which I am also using as a Speaker Grill. My original plan was to have the whole thing open and close, which leaves an area too empty. Just a section of the top will open now, as the rest stays stationary acting as the speaker grill. I made a quick photoshop mockup of basically how I hope it will look when finished and painted.

It's finally going to be not freezing and/or snowing for at least a couple days soon so hopefully I can get the case completely done soon so I can spray paint. I think I'm basically done, just need to cut out a hole for the power jack. All other case work is post painting; buying some vinyl tape for the sides of the inner case parts and attaching aluminum for the cartslot guide and the controller bay on the bottom of the case.