NES reset button.

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Mikeyman64
NES reset button.

Post by Mikeyman64 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey there everyone,
Trying to fix my buddy's NES. Everything works fine, except the reset button. I've tried using a known good reset button from another NES, but to no avail.

Couldn't seem to find anything anywhere else on the web. :(
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

Allen

Re: NES reset button.

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

If you used a know working Power/Reset button and it didn't work on the NES your trying to fix. Somthing on the mother board may be broke.

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:54 am

The cat's out of the bag!

Any idea what that might be? I can't seem to find anything obviously bad on the board. Honestly I'm thinking it might be some sort of logic issue. The reset button's on it's own special circuit (not on the power switch circuit) which explains a few things (mainly the "Hold Reset" thing for saving Zelda games), but it also makes fixing it a pain (and saving Zelda nearly impossible!!! OH NOES!).
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Adr990

Post by Adr990 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:43 am

Hey Mikeyman64,

I think the problem might be the chip called:

Code: Select all

3195A
(c)1986 Nintendo
9034 A

-=- OR -=-

3195A
(c)1986 Nintendo
9115A
I'd say, get a game you don't play much or hate, or just get a cheap second hand game.
De-solder that chip from a game cart, and replace the one in your NES with the one you just got from your game.

I can confirm it works, so can many others. I've tried it not to long ago. Resetting didn't work for me neither anymore, so I had this "Track & Field II" damaged sticker cart, and was like.. what do I've got to lose?

The game you de-soldered that chip from will still work, you just need to disable the lockout pin from actually that same chip, on the NES.

I hope that made any sense, and so saved a NES's functionality. :P

Adr990

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Well, you were right about it being related to the chip. Only in this case the chip was fine. There was a gouge in the board severing a trace that went from the chip to a capacitor. I bridged it with a bit of wire and boom, it works. Thanks a ton!
Go Here! On Your Wii!