Looking to get started

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

TheXtreme1
Looking to get started

Post by TheXtreme1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:00 am

First some basic info, I'm 16 with no background in electronics or any experience. I have a budget of around $150-200. I have a lot of questions.

I heard making an NES or SNES portable is best to start out with so I figured I had an old NES laying around may as well try. I have taken apart and put together multiple systems ranging from NES to xbox 360 so I know how to do the basics. As for tutorials, does anyone have a link to a good tutorial or would I be better off buying Ben's book? And about how much does the book cost?

Now to some more technical stuff, is a PS1 screen best or would it be just as easy to use somthing like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-Inch-1CH-Camera ... 4653wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now onto batteries. What kind is best and could someone recommend one what would work well with NES and the screen I previously posted? I also heard that one of the common batteries used for modding can be dangerous unless you have some protection thing, any info you guys could give me about that?

Lastly what tools do I need and how much experience do I need?

Any help is appreciated.