NES problem Help! No video!

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

ghostriderxxx
NES problem Help! No video!

Post by ghostriderxxx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I have a front load NES that no longer works and I was hoping someone might be able to answer some questions for me. Here are the symptoms (and things I’ve tried):
NES powers (no blinking light) to black screen. Depending on the game I have audio (I can actually start the game and play) ex: Monster Party and Double Dragon 2 both have audio and can play. Tetris & Mario are black, no audio or video. (have tested 3 marios, tetris, tetris 2, double dragon 2, monster party)

I have cleaned the pins, adjust them, cleaned the mother board connector and still no video. I have used multiple 72 pin connectors that I know work (pulled from working systems) and tried RF and component connections. The capacitors look good to me (not corroded or bulged, etc). I disabled the lock out chip (and still no luck).

all games have been tested on 2 other systems and work fine (tetris, tetris 2, 3 marios, double dragon 2 and monster party)

have disabled the lockout chip...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

3GenGames
360 GamerTag:I AaronB123 I

Re: NES problem Help! No video!

Post by 3GenGames » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:24 pm

I'd reflow solder to the RF unit, and while your at it, also to the AC jack joints. Those break a lot on genesis, never had problems on NES, But I know it still happens often.

If that doesn't work, does anything EVER come up? Even garbage?

ghostriderxxx

Post by ghostriderxxx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 pm

3GenGames wrote:I'd reflow solder to the RF unit, and while your at it, also to the AC jack joints. Those break a lot on genesis, never had problems on NES, But I know it still happens often.

If that doesn't work, does anything EVER come up? Even garbage?
nothing ever comes up - aside from a brief "flash" when i hit the reset button.

TomKStones
360 GamerTag:TomKStones

Post by TomKStones » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Did they work before?

I have a console that powers on; but displays no video/sound as the consoles fried/

ghostriderxxx

Post by ghostriderxxx » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:06 pm

TomKStones wrote:Did they work before?

I have a console that powers on; but displays no video/sound as the consoles fried/
the games work (i have a working NES as well) just not on the "broken" system. i may just buy a motherboard for it and give that a try...or try to use the circuit schematic to trace it down.