Beginners doubts

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

playfortoday
Beginners doubts

Post by playfortoday » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 am

Hi everyone! This website got me intrigued in portables!
I'm about to make my own but i have, first of all, a (maybe) really stupid question.
I've bought a retrobit nes clone:

And the dealextreme EP-125NP Professional 2.5" lcd.
The problem i have is with electronics, which i don't know really much.
The lcd needs 12V power. I spotted this : http://cgi.ebay.it/12V-4800mAH-Portable ... 740wt_1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(if you have some batteries you want to suggest i'm open to new ideas:D)
I think it's good for the lcd but what about the system itself? Can i wire BOTH (lcd and noac) to that battery? Do i need two or just one? :/
Thank you :)

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Beginners doubts

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Actually, the LCD shouldn't need the full 12v to run. You can easily power it with much less (The screen in my PNES Mark2 runs on only 6v --and that's a 3.5" screen.)

You shouldn't need any more than 4 AAs to power it (that's what my PNES mark2 runs on, and it gets about 6 hours of battery life).
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Can you take any pictures of what you've got? Like Metallica Man X said - there's probably some sort of power regulator on the screen's circuit board, meaning that you can run it off of less than 12v (or more) and yet the screen itself will get a steady voltage, most likely 5v. Does the circuit board have anything labeled "7805" or something like that? Follow the traces from the power jack - do they lead to some sort of power regulation thing?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

playfortoday

Post by playfortoday » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I wasn't expecting a so soon reply! wow, thanks!:)
in fact my lcd is on its way, i don't have it yet :(
I promise i will take it apart and take picture of it as soon as i get it, then i'll post here for discussion :)

3GenGames
360 GamerTag:I AaronB123 I

Post by 3GenGames » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Hola again, PFT! (Is 65024U on NESDev)

You might want to look into finding a cheap Coleco system in a controller to take out the chip in it, since the chip inside is a NES On A Chip and runs on lower power and isn't as bulky as a full clone system.

Just saying you should. If you want to use that, sure, but NOAC's are easy to find and cheaper and take less power to run on while offering decent compatibility.

Good luck with this project!

Aaron

playfortoday

Post by playfortoday » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 am

So, i got my lcd... But it's not working. Well let's be clear: it turns on but all i can see is WHITE (so the screen gets power). I can hear sounds too and the sound wheel works. The Brightness wheel works. The other wheel it's useless, doesn't work at all.
Here are some pics:

If someone have an idea i'm here listening... Send it back isn't an option since the shipping will be more pricy than the lcd itself...

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 pm

How much power are you putting into it (and where are you hooking the power into) and how are you hooking the video into it?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

playfortoday

Post by playfortoday » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Well...the video in is plugged for sure :)
About the power: i plugged the correct voltage:) This is for sure a faulty unit... Nevermind, it was just a try:) I got a bigger screen from a local store (7") since i changed my mind on the run! I can explain: i don't really want a HANDLED type since i already got a psp with all the emulators i need:D
I'm making a nes-into-toolbox. Yeah is not portable like a handled but it is still portable. Right? So, with the big screen and two always-attached controllers i can play with friends where i want (i don't really like single player that much :D). And, very important to me, i can carry some cartridges too! Plus, being the box quite large i can put a BIG battery :D i just bought a battery for scooters and works like a charm!

Oh, about the RETROBIT entertainmente system (res) there is an important information: It plays ALL GAMES. I was told it could plays just NTSC games but i tried PAL games and even some repro cart i made without the CIC. So no incart CIC needed! Of course if the RES is NTSC, pal games will run a little faster. Hope this helps who wants to buy it:)