In the Process

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

coolme1015
Steam ID:Gordon Freeman
Re: In the Process

Post by coolme1015 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 pm

hailrazer wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:
sorry for bothering you...yes i want to use NES carts...if i buy a NOAC, i need to buy a screen, a battery, make a case, and now im lost....this is the part im not finding out from anybody...if i buy NOAC, whats the point if im not using the games on it....so confused...
You can play the built in games or use your Nes Carts.

The point is that you can make a much smaller portable that will run a lot longer on batteries that you would get with a regular Nes console.
ok 1 last question for today. lets make a scenario...i make a casing, buy the NOAC, buy the ps1 screen, buy a battery...all i have to do is then solder the battery to the screen and NOAC and im done? im noob

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:31 am

coolme1015 wrote:
ok 1 last question for today. lets make a scenario...i make a casing, buy the NOAC, buy the ps1 screen, buy a battery...all i have to do is then solder the battery to the screen and NOAC and im done? im noob
Sort of.

You need to somehow fit a controller into the case. Then you have to wire the controller to the Noac. Then you have to wire the batteries to the Noac and screen. Then you have to have a wy to charge the batteries. So you have to wire a charging jack in. Also the screen needs to be wired to the Noac.

So quite a few things need to be done.

Making a portable is not easy.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:21 am

oh ok now im understanding more and more...im going to believe everything you tell me just because you made the DreamTrooper and thats the system that brought me to doing this.

but im still confused on 1 part.

if i go here http://benheck.com/nes-portable-hand-built" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look at the parts list, its a whole bunch of parts that you need to buy online. I was thinking maybe that was building your own NES maybe? But i went to the cnc built one too and there seems to be parts their too. Do i need these?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:54 am

You should probably do some reading here on the forums. Check out other people's project threads and read through what they have done. There is a lot more to it than you think and there is a lot to know.

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 pm

well i found this while searching http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... me-System/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it seems to go step by step so thats good.

but however this thing tells me what to do for a NES and im getting a NOAC...so i need to know the differences and he said i need a desoldering iron...is this true?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:19 pm

coolme1015 wrote:well i found this while searching http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... me-System/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it seems to go step by step so thats good.

but however this thing tells me what to do for a NES and im getting a NOAC...so i need to know the differences and he said i need a desoldering iron...is this true?
read some of the ones on the forums here.
here, ill get you started http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Ok yeah that kinda helped me a little bit more....but let me say this and see if you agree....im going to buy a NOAC, but a power regulator, buy a screen, but a solderer, then come back on the forums and see what goes from there...sound good?

Also if its not much trouble, other than the things i just listed, can you think of anything else i would need to finish my project?

I want to make a system by Christmas for a Christmas gift...you think thats possible?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:56 pm

coolme1015 wrote:Ok yeah that kinda helped me a little bit more....but let me say this and see if you agree....im going to buy a NOAC, but a power regulator, buy a screen, but a solderer, then come back on the forums and see what goes from there...sound good?

Also if its not much trouble, other than the things i just listed, can you think of anything else i would need to finish my project?

I want to make a system by Christmas for a Christmas gift...you think thats possible?
only thing i suggest is do a hell of a lot more reading before you even start. go through the archives and just read everything you can. it will help you immensely and get you going on the right track. i dont mean scan them either, actually read the info in them.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:44 pm

A good rule of thumb (I think this might actually be buried in the stickies somewhere actually lol) is you take whatever amount of time you think you can do it in, and then triple it.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:32 pm

dragonhead wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:Ok yeah that kinda helped me a little bit more....but let me say this and see if you agree....im going to buy a NOAC, but a power regulator, buy a screen, but a solderer, then come back on the forums and see what goes from there...sound good?

only thing i suggest is do a hell of a lot more reading before you even start. go through the archives and just read everything you can. it will help you immensely and get you going on the right track. i dont mean scan them either, actually read the info in them.
well i did exactly that...and i still dont get it...well i get a lot more of it but it seems that everybody does something different from the last guy...it confuses me.

thats why i came here for help....and you guys arent helping me much...its all "look around" and "look at what these 10 people did"

its all too confusing and i want to take it in slowly (thats how i work best)

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

coolme1015 wrote:
well i did exactly that...and i still dont get it...well i get a lot more of it but it seems that everybody does something different from the last guy...it confuses me.

thats why i came here for help....and you guys arent helping me much...its all "look around" and "look at what these 10 people did"

We tell you to look at what other people did because there is no "one way" to build a portable. There are 20 different ways to do the case. 10 different screens you can use. 8 different controllers. 15 different batteries, etc, etc.

Look around, decide what methods you like best, start working, start a worklog and then ask specific questions in that thread on the ideas you have and methods you will use.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:57 pm

hailrazer wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:

We tell you to look at what other people did because there is no "one way" to build a portable. There are 20 different ways to do the case. 10 different screens you can use. 8 different controllers. 15 different batteries, etc, etc.

Look around, decide what methods you like best, start working, start a worklog and then ask specific questions in that thread on the ideas you have and methods you will use.
I know what case im going to use (im building one) i know what screen im using (ps1 screen), i know what controller im using (an actual NES controller) and i dont know a lot about the battery yet so i havent decided....i am going to start working..i just need to know if i need a desoldering iron

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:03 pm

coolme1015 wrote:
I know what case im going to use (im building one) i know what screen im using (ps1 screen), i know what controller im using (an actual NES controller) and i dont know a lot about the battery yet so i havent decided....i am going to start working..i just need to know if i need a desoldering iron
No you can use a soldering iron and de-soldering braid or a de-soldering bulb :

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Portable Systems:

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 pm

hailrazer wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In your opinion, which one is more reliable? and how do you use it?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm

coolme1015 wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:

In your opinion, which one is more reliable? and how do you use it?
look for some soldering info and howtos on youtube. good info there.