In the Process

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

coolme1015
Steam ID:Gordon Freeman
Re: In the Process

Post by coolme1015 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:47 pm

dragonhead wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:
I know what case im going to use (im building one) i know what screen im using (ps1 screen), i know what controller im using (an actual NES controller) and i dont know a lot about the battery yet so i havent decided....i am going to start working..i just need to know if i need a desoldering iron
No you can use a soldering iron and de-soldering braid or a de-soldering bulb :

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In your opinion, which one is more reliable? and how do you use it?
look for some soldering info and howtos on youtube. good info there.

Ok i looked up some info about it and i think im going to use a de-soldering braid....also i check that forum you sent me and it helped me out a lot...but the system crashed on him...also if i need help on where to solder stuff together where would i go to find that out?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:22 pm

coolme1015 wrote:also if i need help on where to solder stuff together where would i go to find that out?
i swear to god. im saying this ONE more time. all the information you need is right here in this forum. between the stickies, project threads and discussions. if you cant at least get yourself started from there, maybe you should find a new hobby. :facepalm:

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 pm

well...it doesn't seem like im telling you what your hobbies should or shouldn't be....i think we have a problem here....anyway you showed me one link that was helpful, told me to look around the forums (which i did), and to google soldering (which i did)...ive been looking up all this stuff for 4 days now and im still confused about soldering...OBVIOUSLY you werent helping much...i do appreciate what you have done for me so far but if your not going to be fully reliable please get me somebody who is....like hailrazer. He was really helpful.

By the way im trying to take up the hobby of making portables...and that has nothing to do with web surfing

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 pm

coolme1015 wrote:

Ok i looked up some info about it and i think im going to use a de-soldering braid....also i check that forum you sent me and it helped me out a lot...but the system crashed on him...also if i need help on where to solder stuff together where would i go to find that out?
Here's a good guide with pics :

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

coolme1015

Post by coolme1015 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 pm

hailrazer wrote:
coolme1015 wrote:

Here's a good guide with pics :

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i Favorited the guide and read the parts i needed (im an insanely fast reader) so now i know how to solder something....but now i need to look up what to do with the green thing (forgot the name) when it comes time

3GenGames
360 GamerTag:I AaronB123 I

Post by 3GenGames » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:57 am

With desoldering braid, you'll be doing a lot more gamage to the board. I use it to clean up the circle contacts after I remove chips from my NESDev boards I make, but if you use just soldering braid to remove all of it, It'll be slower, more expensive (In a way), and a lot more damage to the board applying heat to the pin for anything more then 5 seconds. Use a soldering iron and a solder-sucker. It's the better quality route all around, not to mention will save you hours desoldering stuff from boards.