NES mini started

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Lachy17689
PSN Username:Getting PS3 Soon...
360 GamerTag:Lachy17689
Steam ID:Lachy17689
NES mini started

Post by Lachy17689 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 am

Since reading Ben's book I have become extremely intrigued in making a portable NES, and after reading up on this forum I have decided to start my own project. I will post updates and justify my design decisions to make those whom undertake this later will have a better perspective on portable modding in general and the process involved. Please don't rant without proper constructive criticism or questions, I will not answer you.

So let's get started. I have chosen a to invest in a cheap 3.5" rear car monitor about $30AU (search 3.5" LCD and set max price to $40). The quality to price ratio I think is good, especially for me (I live in Australia one of the hardest places on earth to buy stuff like a PS1 screen etc). The reason why I have chosen 3.5" screen is because I want it to be rather compact and portable, for a bigger screen you'll need a much bigger case. Most TFT LCDs are NTSC and PAL switchable but some aren't so just be cautious before buying it.

As for the case I think 'Franken-casing' would be the best option it's far cheaper and I can only assume would be easier to modify than make. Sure your rather restricted with case design but for the less creative (and experienced) people it's a better option. I found an old 'Game n Watch' type console called 'The Dracula' I've researched it and know it's of no value. Even so I still disconnected and guttered it with care. Now I have a two part case, one that will house the screen, motherboard, speakers and everything in between. The other is for anesthetic (for looks) purposes it also gives the mini a better grip. I won't go into the specific details of the case because you won't have the same case as mine. Just remember you need sufficient space for: the motherboard, screen, battery, and speakers.

BTW I have to go with a NOAC because the case size is a quarter of an inch to big for the original NES!

PLEASE NOTE: Things have come up at home and school that take priority this project will be slower than expected.
Here's a time plan for the project:
August: Design the mini. Done
September: Gather equipment and start on case Not done
October: Wire up the console with screen and speakers. Not done
November: Finish case and do final touch ups. Not done
December: Put it all together/Test Not done
1/1/11: finished (hopefully) Not done

I've finished the design comment on what you like and more importantly dislike about this design.

Here is also the link to the sketchup file that I designed it in:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

Here is the case in it's current crappy state:

Thank you all for your patience reading this thread, Lachy17689.
Last edited by Lachy17689 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Re: NES mini started

Post by brandonk318 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:15 pm

That looks pretty... I like it :) Do you have pics of the case so far?

TomKStones
360 GamerTag:TomKStones

Post by TomKStones » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Was this the screen perchance?

Nice design by the way... But... You gutted a Game & Watch :?

Lachy17689

Post by Lachy17689 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:38 pm

TomKStones wrote:Was this the screen perchance? Yes in matter of fact it is, but different seller.

Nice design by the way... But... You gutted a Game & Watch :?
It wasn't a game & watch it was a rip off done 15 years after the original game n watch seires finished. Plus I have another copy in a different colour. :wink:
brandonk318 wrote:That looks pretty... I like it :) Do you have pics of the case so far?
I'll upload them sortly. Thanks for asking.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I found this guide you may use for the project.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... me-System/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
what is the screen size.
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Lachy17689

Post by Lachy17689 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:20 am

gamax92 wrote:I found this guide you may use for the project.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... me-System/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
what is the screen size.
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks I try and read up as much as I can.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:22 am

I really like the design for the front. Is the cartridge going to stick out the front like a shelf?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Lachy17689

Post by Lachy17689 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:12 am

Life of Brian wrote:I really like the design for the front. Is the cartridge going to stick out the front like a shelf?
In short yes, but I think It might reduce glare on the screen, what it will look like with cartridge in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rimsky82
PSN Username:rimsky82

Post by rimsky82 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 am

Are you concerned about unintentionally hitting the power/reset button? I would think putting those buttons above the controller would be safer.

Also, the location of the cartridge seems a bit odd to me, overshadowing the screen. It also seems it would add too much weight to the top of the unit and tire your wrists out.

I'm kinda new to the portable modding scene, so I hope my suggestions aren't laughably inane.
http://exportcheats.com - Genie/Par/GS Code Community with error checking and file exporting!

Lachy17689

Post by Lachy17689 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

rimsky82 wrote:Are you concerned about unintentionally hitting the power/reset button? I would think putting those buttons above the controller would be safer.

Also, the location of the cartridge seems a bit odd to me, overshadowing the screen. It also seems it would add too much weight to the top of the unit and tire your wrists out.

I'm kinda new to the portable modding scene, so I hope my suggestions aren't laughably inane.
No, your suggestions are completely feasible, I will seriously consider them. :wink:

I don't think the power & reset buttons position will bother me, after holding the case, I've seen that there's at least a one and a half inch gap between the bottom of my hands and the power/ reset buttons. But yes I will be constantly revising the design.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:52 am

Very nice!

I hope you are going to use a better case is all :?

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Maybe

A. |-||: Cartridge On Back, Up

B. | : Cartridge On Top, Up
..|-|

C: |-|-: Cartridge On Back, Sideways.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 pm

NOAC boards are small enough nowadays, you could completely insert the cartridge inside the the case. having it hang out unsupported like that will cause problems and be annoying.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:47 pm

dragonhead wrote:NOAC boards are small enough nowadays, you could completely insert the cartridge inside the the case. having it hang out unsupported like that will cause problems and be annoying.
Bang. Ow i hit my head. Ow. Ow. OUCH!!! My Head Hurts.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC