4-switch 2600 Composite Video mod help

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Durgan
360 GamerTag:GS Durgan
4-switch 2600 Composite Video mod help

Post by Durgan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Prelude:
After a little looking around I decided to do this simple mod here. The values were strange but after a while I found combinations of resistors (using serial and parallel combinations) I have to give me the exact values that were called for. I double-checked the values of each set of resistors, and combined them as seen in the schematic with a 2N3904 transistor (not the exact transistor used in the schematic, but I figured it's close enough and doesn't matter).

The problem: the resulting video is totally unstable and messed up. It scrolls (the whole thing moves from top to bottom and then repeats), looks like each successive scan line is not lined up to the next (so vertical lines that are supposed to be vertical are definitely not), there's no color, and I'm not completely sure everything is even there.

:(

Guesses and what I've done:
The only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with the fact that I didn't do the previous step of modding the board into the 4x4 form, meaning something about the board is different than what the mod I read started with. However, I did remove the RF modulator from the circuit. Later I tried removing the small set of components just above that (C214, C213, L205, and C212), but that made me lose the signal completely, so I put them back. I don't see what else could be different between the two forms that have anything to do with video and would therefore make a difference. (I have the type A board btw, and did follow the directions for that.)

I've also removed the center pin of the transistor just above the tuner (tall, red, adjustable thing. as recommended by aforementioned tutorial. removed prior to testing), and the tuner itself (not mentioned at all in tut. removed after testing, with no change).

I've triple-checked to make sure everything is connected to where it should be. There are no visible shorts. Nothing was soldered directly to the TIA pins, to avoid risk of damaging it. The +5 volt source is good (although it doesn't appear that could be the problem anyway). I tried connecting the composite lead to before the transistor, and the signal is already messed up by then. Adjusting the color pot does nothing. Could it be I just have a different board which would require different resistances?? The game I've been testing is Frogger (which worked before I began), and I'm on a standard CRT.

If I can get a hold of a camera I can take some pictures. To be honest, I think I did a pretty good job on a point-to-point construction of the circuit (stemming off the original board), with good solder joints, so I don't think the construction job is the problem. Hopefully somebody can help me or has some ideas. Any help would be very much appreciated. What do you think?

(also, please let me know if there is a better place to post this)

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: 4-switch 2600 Composite Video mod help

Post by Rekarp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 am

What kind of screen did you plug it into? That mod is really wonky with LCD screens.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Durgan

Post by Durgan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Right, it's an interlaced signal (a property of just sync, not luma or anything else, I assume?) so I'm sure it would. I'm testing on a Samsung CRT (model TXN2726X/XAA). And as I said, it worked on this before the mod.

Durgan

Post by Durgan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 am

Hmm. I remember that when I first tested it, the sync was not yet connected. I wonder if that could have damaged or tweaked the tia chip. I know that transmitters and some audio equipment can be damaged if activated without a load. Maybe I could try replacing the chip....

Edit: Tried replacing it and there was no difference. TIA chip isn't causing this.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:13 pm

I never had any luck with Ben's mod. I can whip up a really simple mod in a couple days.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Durgan

Post by Durgan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:32 am

Could you point me to a new mod I might try? I know you offer one for purchase, but I was looking for something cheaper. I'd also prefer not to have to get ICs. There's gotta be a simple method like that that would work.

Otherwise I was thinking about trying Ben's method again but with varistors instead, and try playing with the values. I wish I knew why this one as it is doesn't work though. :(

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:55 am

Basically its like my mod but stripped down. I have to find the schematic tho.
The wood master

Durgan

Post by Durgan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:34 am

Are you speaking of the one on AtariAge (http://www.atariage.com/2600/faq/index. ... #composite)? Or are you thinking of one that doesn't have ICs perhaps?

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:04 am

Durgan wrote:Are you speaking of the one on AtariAge (http://www.atariage.com/2600/faq/index. ... #composite)? Or are you thinking of one that doesn't have ICs perhaps?
Its the CD4050 mod without the CD4050. look at the cd4050 datasheet and you should be able how to bypass it.
The wood master