NES help?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
NES help?

Post by ganonbanned » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi,
So last week I replaced the 72 pin connector in my NES. However, a lot of times, a game will still bring up an orange or blue screen. I cleaned my games. Also, it still blinks occasionally. Anyone know how to fix this?
Last edited by ganonbanned on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: NES help?

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:23 pm

double-check the pins on the connector, make sure none are pushed put too far. Also try just inserting the games and not pushing them down.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Did you do a lockout-chip disable on it? As a working lockout chip could also be causing that...
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Did you do a lockout-chip disable on it? As a working lockout chip could also be causing that...
not the blue screen. That would cause it to continue resetting, but it would likely have the game loaded. I've run into this problem, though after I replace the connector sometimes. When that happens, it usually works fine, as long as the game isn't pushed down.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 am

Regardless, if never hurts to try and disable the lockout chip. But ya there is a slight possibility that the pins in the connector are sensitive to pressure and probably bend to the side and touch other pins causing a short when the cartridge is pushed down. I still hate that zero force insertion slot they designed, it produces more problems than normal cartridge slots, although a super nintendo's cartridge slot pins can bend as well..............

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:30 pm

yeah, I always disable the lockout chip on every one of the consoles that I sell. It's very easy. Just pop out one pin.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 pm

So a lot of the games work, but only if they aren't pushed down...how can I fix this?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 pm

ganonbanned wrote:So a lot of the games work, but only if they aren't pushed down...how can I fix this?
I never did fix that problem on my NES when I replaced the 72-pin. I just always played them without pushing them down. An option is to hack in a better connector (say, from a Game Genie) in place of the VCR-style 72-pin.

Here's what Ben did: http://benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_proje ... Up_NES.htm
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.